80's Toys And Gift Ideas

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by kana_marie • Mar 15, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have an 11 year old son and a 6 year old son. Watching them waste so much time on computers and video games absolutely depresses me. I have began taking advantage of Christmas time to buy them toys and gifts that I remember from my childhood. For example: last year my older son received a genuine rabbits foot and a set of "Garbage Pail Kids" cards. I intend to do this every year from here on out. I have faith they will grow to appreciate the look into the past- to a time that is unlike anything they will experience. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what to get them next year and where to find it for fairly cheap. I'm on a budget so several thousand dollars for a He-Man action figure, still in the box isn't very realistic for me. Thank you so much ahead of time for any input you can give me!

2. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    Fun question! There are a few things that are still original 80s style like Rubix cubes, Lincoln Logs, Lite Brite, and Lava Lamps. There are a few other things that have been updated but still have the same effect. Simon Says, Atari, Skip It, anything Star Wars, Transformers, Legos, Sticky Hands, and Moon Shoes.

You might even consider buying some box sets of older television shows like Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs, Masters of The Universe, etc.

I have purchased some of these things, or versions, or them at dollar stores, Five Below, or even on amazon. Every now and again, I find some neat stuff at garage sales and church sales too.

Can I suggest some 90s toys too? Gooey Looey, POGS, Koosh, Furby, Power Rangers, Silly Putty, Crocodile Dentist, and Giga Pets.

3. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow!! I had forgotten all about a lot of these! I loved the koosh and Dinosaurs..."I da baby"...lol. Thank you for the suggestions as well as the memories that can flooding back when I read a lot of these. I gotta tell ya, I do miss the 80s and 90s so much!' These are definitely some things I'm going to look into.'thank you so much!!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Old G.I. joe toys were the best for me growing up as it had so many characters I could choose from and they were even great for me to use as targets for my toy guns whenever I was tired of some of them. I don't know how much it would appeal to kids nowadays since the accompanying cartoon isn't being shown anymore but there are a few movies out.

5. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious about how much they might cost now a days. I've seen a lot of 80s toys going for an insane amount of money. Transformers being one of them. Thousands of dollars for a toy that cost 20$ brand new. Honestly, though, if I had the money I would have a full collection, myself.

6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I loved 80's toys because they made kids think. The Rubix Cube had to be one of the best, but I even loved the board games that came out then, because they were family games like Monopoly and Cluedo. Great fun!

7. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    You can't forget my personal favorites: Life and Connect 4.

I miss playing those games. If it isn't online, no one wants to play anymore. My kids want to play the play station or the Xbox all the time. I try my best to get them to play the way we used to as kid, but they complain about it being boring. I wonder how well the would have survived the 80s.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not an 80s kid but.. Transformers? Ninja Turtles figures are a mainstay too. And the good old plastic soldier toys. Simple, but effective!