Affordable Christmas Decoratons

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Share your ideas for affordable Christmas decorations. I really like picking up stuff at Dollar Tree. They have some very pretty items, and of course, they're only $1. Some of them can be used as is, but they can also be used to make some nice crafts. They have a great selection of snowflake decorations right now, so I'm trying to think up some different ways to use those. So pretty!

2. HealthyWealthyWise

HealthyWealthyWiseNew Member

Threads:
    This year we are trying to use as many natural items as possible. My kids found a bunch of small pinecones on a recent walk, so I think we'll paint or glue glitter or feathers or something on these, attach a hook, and call them ornaments.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I like that idea. That sounds like a fun family project about to happen. :) I think pine cones are always a good choice. There are so many things you can do with them. Fill up a bowl, hang them with ribbon, or like you said, make ornaments out of them. Very cool. I like using natural stuff too. The snowflakes just grabbed my attention, and now I have to do something with snowflakes. Paper ones can be pretty too, and a great way to re-use paper.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think the Dollar Tree is the only place I have bought any Christmas decorations. I sure don't have much though, I'm not really into decorating at all, I just do it to keep other people from thinking I'm depressed or something. I just put a bell on the door and hang some snowflakes in the window. I had a string of lights my mom gave me, but it quit working last year. I don't think I'll be buying another one, I always forget to plug it in.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just buy my Christmas ornaments at Walmart. They have some really pretty ornaments for $1 or $2. Some of them are even made out of glass or metal.
    I also collect the ceramic mini Walmart stores from the lighted villages. I want to have a ceramic Christmas village that is only the Walmart stores from various years because I think it would be funny.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love shopping for ornaments and making them. Some of them are so pretty. The really nice ones, like the fancy single ones, can even make nice gifts. I'm always trying to think of new and different things to do instead of just decorating the same way every year. Plus, I really liked the snowflakes, so many different ones to choose from. I'm determined to make something nice with those.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't overlook thrift stores and flea markets either. You may need to check them out throughout the year, and not just the holiday season, but you can often find all sorts of old fashioned classic toys like nutcrackers, wooden toy horses, tin robots, mini toy dolls, and such that can be re-purposed as tree ornaments. You may need to clean them up a bit, and perhaps touch them up with a little paint, then drill a hole and fasten strings or hooks to them. Some may need a coating of varnish to antique them more and preserve their surfaces. Plus this would look a lot more eclectic than your run of the mill decorations. You may even find sets of really old antique christmas ornaments that were perhaps a tradition on someone else's christmas tree each year.

8. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    The dollar tree does have some really nice and obviously affordable decorations -- you just have to watch what you buy because obviously some of them are constructed at sub par quality. You can also try shopping big lots and Wal-mart Christmas night when all of their decor goes from 75-90 percent off. This is a great time to pick up some really pretty decorations at next to nothing prices.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    It really helps me to shop for Christmas decorations right after Christmas. I bought my (artificial) tree off Craigslist in the summer for $10. I often hit the drug store sales before New Year's as well, when Christmas stuff goes more and more on sale by the week. I wait to see what is left when it hits 75% off. I've also found great deals on things like Christmas lights at thrift stores.

I think the key is timing and being on the lookout before peak Christmas season. I don't tend to go overboard on the decorations, but even if you one who does, you can find everything at a good price if you wait until the right time.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I adore The Dollar Tree, and any other kinds of dollar stores that are out there. I also like the dollar section in Target, I like a lot of things that Walgreens has to offer as well.
    I also like shopping at thrift stores, Goodwill, places like that. A lot of times you can find some really nice, vintage:D decorations cheaply priced in places like these.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great ideas.

You have given me a new project, OhioTom. Now I want to get started for next year. How fun to have vintage/classic stuff like toys and ornaments and all that stuff. That would create such a charming look. Very cool idea.

I am always coming up with themes for decorating, but I'm going to have to start selling off some of my other stuff before I buy/make any more new stuff.

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Instead of buying ornaments and decorations.. why spend your hard earned dollar when you can recycle?? If you love crafts and arts.. you can make your own decorations out of anything.. recyle soda cans, plastics... or just anything you could think of.. even dried branches and leaves can be used. This way, you save.. and you become imaginative and creative.. and you recylcle.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is very true. I've really been wanting to do something with a snowflake theme, and the ones I saw were so pretty. I just want to get a few to incorporate into the rest of the decorating ideas. I've been asking around for paper snowflake patterns and I got some great ones from a couple gals at a crafting site I visit sometimes. They are really beautiful, and I figure that re-using papers and adding a bunch of paper snowflakes will be a good way to go.

There are lots of ways to make your own decorations, and I like doing it. I also like the post holiday sales. They are great for some cheap inspiration. You can get just a few things and really make a great display by adding them to things you already have or things you make.