Afternoon snacks at school

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Dec 16, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both my kids spend the whole day at school, usually we get home around 6 PM and even though they have an afternoon snack at school, when they come home they are starving, so I investigated and realize that what they eat there is nothing, just some cookies and milk, hardly enough for 7 year old. What snacks are offered to kids where you live?

2. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I don't have a kid of my own, but I'm pretty young so I still remember my elementary school times quite vividly, and I also have a little brother in elementary school. Typically, my mom packed something extra in our lunches, such as fruits, goldfish crackers, or maybe a fruit to go. She told us that there's already enough for lunch, and we should save that snack for after school as the school doesn't offer snack after school. There are other options too, such as fruits, or whatever was leftover from my mom's lunch that day. They're all delicious.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The best options would probably be fruits, or a small granola bar. It is best to avoid foods high in sugar or fat since it would probably spoil their dinner.

4. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Normally I like to pack some fruits for my niece because normally she comes home really late and I do not want here to be eating sweets when she is really hungry so the best thing would be to give her something that is really healthy to eat so that is why it think that it is best to give her fruits.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's what we end up doing as well, but it's annoying because the school is suppose to give them food for those periods, but we end up needing to pack daily two snacks, one for the middle of the morning and another for the middle of the afternoon, it's work and an expense.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The kids in my family get their own packed lunches prepared for them everyday and back when I was still in school ours had a good enough menu with good prices. Granted they weren't the healthiest options but I doubt vegetable snacks would sell well to kids anyway. Back then there was always pizza or corndogs and some pastries as well as some packed chips being sold so I'm sure there are even more options now my old school.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I am starting to realize that if I want my kids to eat properly on school I can't rely on the food they provide, they need to take food from home and I need to stop being lazy and simply do it lol. It's a shame that the school can't feed their students properly though...