Alternatives to air conditioning ?

Discussion in Heating started by donaldplozha • Jul 10, 2012.

1. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    Here is something you can try:
    Get a couple of those container that are used to make ice cubes. The content of three or four of those container should be poured in a bowl. Then, turn on the fan and let it blow air in the bowl. Air that exits the bowl will be much cooler. I used this just last summer and it produced amazing results.

Let us know if it works.

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    You can always used stand fan, ceiling fans and wall fans if you want. It is quite cheaper than having an airconditioner. If your place is not yet polluted you can always open your windows and let the air breeze cool your entire house.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    A fan is not a cheap method of air conditioning because it uses electricity. A good passive option is to construct ventilation holes on the top of walls. Hot air rises and cool air descends. The hot air will emanate from the house while the cool air would come from the outside. This would invariably cool the room effortlessly. The ventilation holes should be protected from precipitation.

4. gats

gatsNew Member

Threads:
    A fan uses MUCH less electricity than an air conditioner so it is very much a viable option. If you are suffering from intense heat you will still want to use a fan, even if there are ventilation holes.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I have spent a considerable amount of time roughing it in the heat, as I like to see how far I can go without turning on the ac. 2 things: fans and water. Fans make a huge difference all the time. Then to really feel nice while sleeping, get naked, wet a handtowel good and wet, lay it across your torso. The fan will blow across the handtowel and it feels heavenly. Ocassionally wave the towel through the air to cool it, then lay it back across you. During the day, a wet wash cloth around your neck is a wonderful cooling thing. Finally, drink water, lots of water. Any water, but the colder the better. This is like putting water in your radiator.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't believe there is an effective alternative to air-conditioning at the moment. The fan is used as a type of cooling option also, however, its effectiveness pales in relation to the air-conditioner and there are times that all the fan produces is hot air. The air conditioner will always provide cool air in accordance with the receiver's requirement. Presently, I see no viable option to the air conditioner.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am shocked that no one has mentioned evaporative coolers, also known as swamp coolers, on here. It is so much cheaper than an AC and worthwhile if you live in a dry area like California and Arizona. Look up a map on what zones you have to live in, but they are sweet!

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Well you actually need at least an air conditioning device to cool your home with electric fans during a hot summer. An extractor will allow to flow the cooled air across other rooms. You don't need to turn on every air conditioning of your house, otherwise you're asking for a non very friendly electricity bill after a month.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The air of the air conditioner is dry so it helps in taking care of the humidity. But with the cold air, I don't think there is a substitute except during the cold months of December and January when we do not use the bedroom air conditioner. We just leave the windows open to give us cool air and have a good night's sleep. Electric fans just ventilate the room but not cool it especially in a tropical country like here, electric fan is not much of use because we are already used to the cool air of the air conditioner.