Another Email Scam (gmail)

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by littlewitch66 • Jul 5, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 I am glad nothing went wrong but that could well be a trap and someone lesser mindful of such things got hooked as well. You know I have been using internet for a long time and hearing and reading about new tricks all the time. I thought people will soon know about this scammers and stay away from them but to my surprise the things are getting worse as the scammers are coming with new tricks. I am 100% sure that they get some innocent users in their net and that's the reason the number of scammers is increasing.

2. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    I must say, Thanks for sharing mate... :)

#42Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    This happened some time ago now and I'm happy to say nothing happened although I was a little nervous at first and kept a close eye on my bank account for a while. When I looked in my spam email box the other day I saw other similar types of email but I just deleted them all. I don't want to be caught out like that again.

4. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you did a mistake but this is not the end of the world...is better than you already changed your email details and password, this will protect you.
    You should not worry, you are safe but this was a lesson from what you should learn and never give your details without to check before, especially when you know that you have made no order!

5. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    This is a nice thing that you share this warning to all about emails and account security. I had never experience a security breach with regards to my email account and stuff and I'm glad to have known that there are attacks like this. I also received emails from an unknown sources sometimes but usually they fall on the spam folders and I just delete them instantly especially if I don't recognize the address.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, my... These scam mails are extremely annoying and it seems like they never end. I have to check my inbox every day (sometimes 2 or 3 times a day).

7. littlewitch66

Threads:
    I had a phishing scam this morning saying that I had been charged for train tickets. Then it said to click a link to cancel them. When I clicked it took me to a "paypal" page asking for my bank details. I then realised it was a scam and rang both the train company and paypal. No money came out of my account

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! You had a close call both times! But I just don't understand how did these emails not go to your spam inbox in the first place? Are you using gmail or some other email service provider? Because Gmail filters out each and every email and automatically sends them to the spam inbox, at least for me, it does! So you should perhaps check the security settings of your email account too, you might find something there.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @nangk08@nangk08 Even Gmail is burnable to scam/phishing mails as the experts know how to trick the ever-alert filters of gmail. I have not many but certainly had some of them in my inbox. However, you'll be able to keep them away if you keep a close eye on your online activities and you know how to tackle them.

#49Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
  10. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @nangk08@nangk08 I thought that too. I always thought that googlemail was the safest email there was but on two occasions now I have had these fakes come straight into my primary email box. It does filter out many others as my spam box is always full when I look at it but I'm surprised it didn't detect these. Scammers are getting so clever these days that they find a way round it.

#50Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
  11. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 What Sunil says is quite true! Clever hackers know how to work around their way through anything and all the security layers. So it is very much up to us to be able to recognise fake from the genuine! :)

#51Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 You just need to be careful with the kind of links you click on especially the ones that you never worked on getting from anyone. This reason for such is that there are lots of scammers out there who have the technology to hack your profile to any database you are registered in with just one click on a link they sent you.

Such links serves as a door way as well as a virus to eat into the system they are looking to attach and get the details they are seeking to make use of.

#52Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman Actually it's not the links alone which attract scammers but when you visit certain sites they gather your data and transfer them to various sources. They certainly do not want to do it to harm you but some of the data reaches to scammers through legal and illegal sources including greedy staff and call centers. Most financial frauds are direct result of a black sheep sitting in an important place.

14. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Yes I think you're right as I have been spending some time doing surveys lately. I have now been deleting some of my reward sites because I think that is why I am susceptible to these attacks recently. I give out far too much information when I do them.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    This is so scary. Scammers keep coming up with new ways to steal money from unsuspecting people.This is one of the reasons why I never use my actual email address for anything other than banking and personal purposes like social media access. I have a separate gmail account I give out for all and sundry, whether its forum posting or filling out surveys. This is one of the best ways you can ensure you are protected. And also never ever click on any unknown link source.

16. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I totally agree with you on this, there are several sites which I have visited and I'm being asked to provide my details, most times if such site don't look legit enough to me, I'm always skeptical about providing my date on such site.

17. littlewitch66

Threads:
    The biggest problem I have found are the paypal scams as they look so real. Some people have advised me to look at the URL as it can give a fake email away. I'm very nervous every time I get an email from them now but at least these experiences have made me more aware of how easy it is to get hold of people's details.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was almost tricked by a PayPal (Fake) mail that asked me to participate in a survey. I opened the link but the first question gave me the hint that it's not from PayPal. So I looked at the url and that confirmed my doubt. I sent an email to support at PayPal but they did not reply to my query for an unknown reason. However, if I have to participate in a survey, I will go to original site first and will check my notification if they need me to participate in a survey or wish to inform me about something.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely believe that it's as a result of these PayPal scams is the reason why PayPal isn't functional in some countries today that are well known in the act of scamming. For example Nigeria, PayPal doesn't have any business relationship with any banking system in Nigeria and I do believe it's as a result of these scams.

20. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I probably wouldn't do the survey because I am so afraid now of doing anything that might be fake. I know there is an email address you can send suspicious emails to. It is [email protected] and they will investigate it for you. I think it is best just to ring them and talk to them direct which is what I did.