Anyone buy their costumes after Halloween for next season?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by RomanAnthonysMama • Sep 21, 2013.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of Halloween! My son is even due to be born on Halloween. ;) I'm pretty excited about that! There have been a few times where I've looked at the discount racks when the local Halloween stores were closing for the season, and I'd buy some really nice costumes for next year for cheap money. I've noticed it works more for adults since children grow out of things so easily and their size is unpredictable from one year to the next, but I've definitely saved some money on Halloween's past by buying my costume a year in advanced during the sales!

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought the costumes for next year on clearance because kids grow fast, but I've bought accessories on clearance for next year, like fairy wings and witch hats.
    I've also saved money on decorations for the following year by buying them on clearance.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do my own costumes because the things that i want to do are not that hard, and even if i try a more complicated thing i can always count with a good friend of mine to help me with manual labor. I don't think i ever bought a pre-made costume.

4. Mrs. B

Mrs. BNew Member

Threads:
    Me too! I normally buy decor for Halloween once the items start going on clearance which is usually starts about a week before Halloween. So for that last week of October, my house always looks more festive. Over time of simply buying on clearance year after year, I start to build more decorations without spending too much.

I like the idea of buying a Halloween costume after the season is over. That's a terrific idea that I haven't tried yet.

Has anyone tried making their own Halloween decorations?

5. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I have! And clothes, and accessories... make up, carving kits, etc. Why not? It's so much cheaper that way!

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do the costumes for my kids cause they are still toddlers so every year they are a different size lol. But I do get decorations and what not for Halloween when all the Halloween stuff goes on sale that's when I get my decorations and things for the upcoming year it works out and it's so much cheaper I do the same with Christmas and any other holiday.

7. EBcs

EBcsNew Member

Threads:
    So enjoy DIY(Do it your self ) fun, usually this is not hard to do, isn't right ?

8. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I buy my daughter's costumes. She's only 2, so planning ahead that far isn't very practical. Plus, I'm lazy and not especially crafty. I have a lot of admiration for those that make their own, though. I know it's cheaper.

9. webdesignsbyapw

webdesignsbyapwNew Member

Threads:
    You know, that's a really good idea if you want to save money on the costumes. I noticed that they offer 50% off or more on remaining costumes once Halloween is over with. Most of the stores want to get rid of their inventory quickly because they need to move out. Well, at least this is what happens where I live. They will rent the place for a while and once Halloween is over, their businesses finish with at least until the next year.

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really set out specifically to do this, but I've now done it for the last couple of years. It turns out, Goodwill has a ridiculously good selection of costumes (which include tons of princess dresses which = dress up clothes in my house) and they keep them out and keep marking them down until Halloween day. Last year I went to Goodwill three times during the week of Halloween and fully restocked our dress up clothes for the year. Made for a great Christmas.

My mom found two or three costumes at Once Upon a Child just after Halloween last year, which have been waiting for us until this year. I have two girls in a row, and then a little boy, so hand-me-downs have been working, and a variety of sizes typically means I'll have someone who can wear something at some point.

All that said, my 4 yo has wanted to be a kitty every year since she could walk. So despite my best efforts, we inevitably dress her in black, find the ears I once glued to a headband, tack on the tail we found on the ground when she was a few months old, and draw one some whiskers. Too funny.

Halloween costumes often end up in the dress up clothes box at the end of the holiday.

Now I just need to have pirate and cow costumes ready for Krispy Kreme and Chick-fil-a freebies.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me I think Halloween costumes can be bought at any time as long as they serve the purpose for which they are intended. It's not like there's going to be anything new. If for example you want a kid to dress up as a vampire, while there might be a slight difference between this year's and next year's costumes the basic principle behind the creation of the costume is the same.

For that reason, I can buy a Halloween costume a year before. . .

12. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. Almost every year. I can find costumes for half off their original price after Halloween. Sometimes even more. I save a lot of money putting together Halloween costumes when I buy them ahead of time. It pays off to shop and be prepared in advance. It is also fun to look through all the costumes that are leftover.