Are Motorcycles Really Dangerous?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Nov 13, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some people claim motorcycles are too dangerous and cite the numerous wrecks and deaths. On the other hand, some motorcycle fans claim that people are being too cowardly in regards to the subject. Does anyone ride a motorcycle a lot, and does anyone think it's dangerous?

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is dangerous to ride a motor cycle. But yes, a careless ride can be fatal as for a motorcyclist there is no protection except a helmet. But in four wheeler you can have seat belts, air bags, ABS and a number of other sophisticated features which can protect from a fatal injury. Moreover, four wheeler is more stable at high speeds and gives you a better control on road.

But if you ride a bike with due care there is nothing to be afraid of . It is one of the most popular ways of transportation. Wearing a helmet can make it more safe and you can ride with confidence. I have been riding bikes for more than 20 years now and never met with an accident or injury. While driving I only focus on that activity and never attend my mobile phone.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you watch American Pickers? Both Mike and Frank ride motorcycles and love motorcycle riding. There is

that happens every year that Frank of American Pickers goes to every year...we're big fans of American Pickers. Many don't think that motorcycle riding is dangerous. I'm on the side of safe riding being a bus rider now and you know what? A Bus as big as it is gets into accidents too! Just got to be careful no matter what you ride or drive is all. No I think motorcycles are not dangerous, just accidents are terrible.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you are and what are the road rules and to which extent their are actually obeyed.

Where I am noone follows any traffic rules and the road is crowded with vehicles and that makes it extremely dangerous to use a bike.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if the motorcycle saves gas in the usual heavy traffic in the metro roads, I still would not recommend using it for the simple reason that it is dangerous. Statistics say that motorcycle riders are the prominent involved in road accidents. Tomorrow November 14, the use of the motorcycle lane in major roads will be fully implemented. I hope that can reduce the dangers in using the motorcycle.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to ride on a bike and I am planning to get one motorcycle when I get my retirement pay. But many of my friends advice me not to get one for it is too dangerous. They have sent me several videos about accidents related to motorcycle riding. I do respect and honor their friendly suggestions. I would rather take their advice than to feel sorry about it later.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using motor cycles and scooters for years and you would be surprised to note that I have traveled long distances by motor cycles and scooters in hilly areas for adventure tours up to 3000= km within 7 days at an high altitude of 15000 ft plus in a group. During my field job as a sales engineer I used to visit sugar mills in my area on motorbikes regularly.

8. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Here in our country, if someone gives you a motorcycle, expect that the person hated you and wants you dead. I don't really recommend motorcycles most specially in urban areas because the survey about death tolls made motorcycle accidents the number one cause of death around motorists.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you but I use it as an adventure sports for long drives now and our cities are so crowded that if you use a car you will cover the same distance in thrice as much time compared to what you can cover by a scooter or motorbike. You know it is difficult to drive at more than 10-15 km/hour in city area so chance of accidents or death within city area is almost nil.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, motorcycles are dangerous. The passengers are not protected from any direct impact on their bodies. Most riders are young people who in an attempt to display themselves as macho, zoom at high speeds round corners. There is even a motor cycle accident injury wards in my country due to the prevalence of casualties.

11. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, pretty much motorcycles right now are being used for long rides, and a sport adventure & activity. When it comes to commutes people prefer doing it on public transport or with their cars because you are protected inside at most part. Before, I like to buy a motorcycle but then I chicken out riding it. I guess I would just stick with a car.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You know with right kind of protective dresses and headgear the chances of death or injury is reduced to bare minimum even on a fast speed in case of an accident. But as I said I use a motorbike for a long drive for adventure purpose or within city area where the speed is not more than 10 km at an average.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    You could be right about the right kind of protective gears but even with the correct gears I'm still hesitant to ride a motorcycle because I already have 3 friends who died from motorcycle accidents, they are actually wearing protective gears already but they all died gruesomely--I guess, they are not using sturdy protection? I cannot really tell. I won't give any details on how they died but yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't like to ride a motorcycle with an exception to ATVs. Have you drove one before?

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @biege@biege in fact we have no option but to use motorbikes in our kind of traffic conditions. If we fully depend on private cars or public transport system then we shall never reach to our destination in time therefore we have no option but to use two wheeler even if it poses a risk. You would be surprised to note that more than half of our population use two wheeler to work due to traffic conditions in our country.

15. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess we're not really the worst when it comes to Traffic conditions. Here, people are complaining because the traffic is moving really slow but actually it's not really that so alarming compared to other countries. Which is much safer in your opinion, Scooters or Motorcycles?

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think scooter is better because it has an option of stepney just in case besides it has better option for foot rest rider. However, when it comes to adventure riding I like my motorcycle that can go up to 150 km/hr. I always carry few extra tubes and thinking in terms of buying a one with tubeless version.

17. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    That's great! @Ray1@Ray1. I also think that scooter is a better option for commuting in heavy traffic. I guess, I will have to invest one instead of getting a motorcycle. Aside from less maintenance, what are the advantage of using a tubeless wheels?

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think tubeless tires makes the journey safer because it saves you in case of sudden burst at high speed. I am always afraid of if the front tire will burst while riding at high speed. You can manage the back wheel but front tire is almost impossible to balance at a high speed.

19. AllenLiu

AllenLiuNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's more dangerous than car ... But motorcycle is exciting ~

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Most people here are motorcycle users but I wouldn't be one of those people. Almost all drivers here are crazy drivers which can be a danger for motorcyclists. Most of the crazy drivers are bus drivers so you can imagine how horrible a collision between a bus and a motorcycle would be, the motorcycles will be totalled