Are People In Your Life Celebrating Easter Far Less Than In Your Youth?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by JoanMcWench • Apr 4, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Speaking with friends I've noticed that not many of them will be celebrating Easter & I've also noticed the one's that are celebrating have really taken all religious connections to the holiday out of it. Growing up it seemed like everyone I knew went to church & celebrated Easter. Is it just me or have other people experienced this?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a Christian but not a practicing one. I don't celebrate Easter, and would never have done of my own free will in my younger days. The only reason I did was because I went to a Catholic school.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I think as people grow older they tend to celebrate easter less and less. If people are religious then obviously they'll go to the services etc as much as they always have done but all the other aspects of it will begin to fade.

While easter eggs and easter bunnies are all very well when your 7, as an adult they quickly lose their appeal.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely so. Maybe the world has become far more secular about it, and the reason why Christmas remains big is the way it's commercially exploited, but Easter doesn't seem to have an elevated status any more. I guess growing up school was the big driver of a lot of it. I don't know whether that's still the case.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was never about religion in my home. I might have been taught the religious side of it, but can't remember at this point. We made it about bunnies and chocolate.. a fun day for the kids. Now they're older and we just throw a bunch of treats at them and sit and stare at them until they share. Bout it for us this year ;)

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that a lot of people who do not have kids, do not celebrate Easter anymore. I am not sure if that is something that is happening only in the circle of people that I am surrounded with, or if it is a wider thing? When people have kids, they are much more likely to buy Easter eggs for other people's kids, so that they receive them in return, for their own kids, from people.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it had much of a connection to the religious day it's trying to celebrate anyway so I'm not surprised the trend it dying out. No one really knows what painted eggs have to do with Jesus anyway.
    In my country it usually is celebrated the same way by middle class people but I never really understood why they did it because Easter usually falls on a season when it's the hottest here and parents are just basically setting themselves up as well as their kids for a whole day of suffering under the heat of the sun for something that in my opinion is baseless and trivial.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, we still celebrate the same. The only difference is that I celebrate Christmas way less, but for others in my life, nothing changed. We never really celebrated Easter that much, anyway.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fewer people celebrate Easter these days. In my hometown there was a time you'd see lots of Catholics carrying crosses on Good Friday but there isn't much of that these days. It's just like many of the other holidays. Most people no longer celebrate these holidays anymore.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't live where I lived when I was a child, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue, but yes, I've noticed that friends and others down here don't seem to celebrate as much (or in the same way) as we did growing up, or even when I lived back there as an adult. I do think some of the differences could be regional, and some religious. Easter egg hunts and barbecues seem to be very popular here, as well as getting together in parks. Back home, we would go to church, and then get together for a nice dinner. When there were children involved, of course, there were also Easter baskets, but we never participated in Easter egg hunts.