Are toys a must or is it just a waste of money?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by nhsososo4 • Nov 12, 2013.

1. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    We are fast approaching Christmas and high up on the parents lists are toys for their kids. Year in and out parents buys toys for their kids, most of the toys are either dolls or cars depending on the sex of the baby. These toys you find kinds playing with them up until February the following year, the question is, are they really worth buying. Couldn't you have taken that money to buy something more valuable for the kid, such as a book or something. These toys, what do you do with them when the kid is no longer interested in them and has found something else to play with.

Thus the question are they even worth investing in?

2. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldnt call them a must. I think kids should have something fun to do or play with. Books and education are valuable sure, but kids need play time, fun time too. Nothing wrong with a couple toys for that reason

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't buy toys.. my kids have never really been into them unless they're super functional or something. We stopped buying them when we finally admitted to ourselves they were just "filler presents". Just something to fill more space under the tree, as long as it was at least related to something they were into. We won't do it anymore.. that stuff just gets tossed aside, often the first day, and never gets looked at again.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are a must. Toys are one of those things that parents even tried to carve out of wood so their child can play with. Of course it's better to invest in books and all but toys at the end of the day are part of your childhood. I would hate myself if I ever became a parent that denied my could something that I loved and enjoyed so much.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you're buying. There are so many options nowadays in the toy community. I feel like the creators saw a need for educational aspects and fulfilled on that. Playing board games as a child may seem like a waste of the child's time but it helped build things like sharing/communication skills/sometimes simple math. Perception is key. A race car may not seem like something of value and may lose the child's interest quickly but this may help them give it more value because it was created with their hands:
    car.JPG

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Not all kids get cars and dolls for Christmas their are a lot of educational toys for kids so yes I think it's worth it and when they get older and don't have interest in the toy you can sell or donate the toy so another child may benefit from it.

7. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with everyone else, it depends what you're buying. If you're getting a action figure, it will most likely be a waste of money. If you get something that is educational or would make him physically active, it would definitely be worth the money. Getting his mental or physical abilities to work is an awesome thing to do.

If you do get a book, I would go for something electronic because e-books are getting to be more popular than real books. Plus then he could use the device for something else like a calculator or something!

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Toys are a must for children in Christmas, no question about it. For me Christmas is for the kids, when "Santa" comes and gives them the toys and their eyes shine seeing someone dressed like Santa that gives them so many toys that they can't open them all in the same day... :D

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are a must. Kids need to have fun and although the toys will stop being used at some point, you can sell them on or donate them. Not giving children toys to play with is just cruel!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A toy can be educational and fun at the same time. We all need to expand our imaginations and we do that with toys, books, games, art anything that will stimulate the brain is a toy. I miss buying toys now that the kids are older, I think it was more fun for me to purchase the toy than it was for them to receive them.

11. april84

april84New Member

Threads:
    As a parent, I enjoy buying toys for my kids and seeing the look of joy on their faces. If, in six months, your kids have lost interest or outgrown the toy you can sell them on ebay or a yardsale. Of course, you won't get back what you paid for it but I view this as paying a price to rent the toy. My favorite place to sell toys is on Facebook. Different groups have started up around different areas so you can sell/buy kids' items without the processing fees of ebay.

12. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    Overall I would say they are not worth it and even if they are considerably less could be spent on toys. My case in point being that sometimes when my son is misbehaving we ground him from toys, well there's been two times when the whole mess of toys was taken away. What happened? Kid kept on playing, now it was just with wadded up pieces of paper, paper airplanes, crayons, the bare essentials that he had left. Point being, that he honestly just doesn't care too awful much about his toys!

There are a few exceptions, one being his XBox and the other being a Meep Tablet we gave him last year for Christmas. Those two toys are easily worth their weight in gold!

But yes, I think overall people could spend far less on toys! Our family likes to buy Bonds for children, that way when they get older they can have a nest-egg for college or their first car.

13. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    At the end of the day, I think parents should make an effort to get kids what they actually want. I understand that not everyone has tons of money. But I don't think Christmas presents should just be whatever the parents want. It isn't about you, it is about the kids.

14. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    Buying toys, in my household is a waste of money. My kids hardly ever play with them. They are all into video games and IPads. When Christmas comes, they are excited about the amount of gifts that they have but after every thing is done they go right back to the electronics. Lately I've tried to be more practical. I will buy clothes, socks and underwear and a game or two for them. They already have 3 game consoles, IPads, IPods, and phones so really, what else is there to get them?

The toys they that get from relatives and friends I usually end up selling on ebay because they will sit in my kids' rooms and collect dust. I've warned those folks not to buy toys but some people feel like toys are a must at Christmas time.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The purchase of toys in my household is not I waste of money, I wouldn't say. But it is definitely an issue, in the sense that the toys often end up broken easily?? And these toys are not cheap toys. Our kids are into all of the popular stuff, like Frozen and stuff. So the toys that they are given are the expensive ones, and yet sometimes they are broken the very same day that they are purchased. It is ridiculous.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids learn a lot from playing. And toys can be the tools they use to learn or at least try out a few things they see adults do. For example I've seen little girls dressing up their dolls, brushing their barbie's hair, etc, etc. Much as I won't say toys are a must, you should at least get kids something they'll play with.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Toys can never be considered a waste of money. Almost every kids love to have toys. I remember when I was a kid, I get many toys as gift especially during Christmas and I would keep them away from my siblings. But no matter how much I take care of them, they always end up destroyed or broken from constant use. But hey, as long as your kid loves playing with it, it is never a waste of money. No price can beat the look on every child's face whenever he/she has a new toy

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I guess they are worth investing because kids will not be young forever and we should give them the opportunity to be able to play with toys while they are still children. Later if they are no longer playing with these toys, then they can be donated to other children who are less fortunate like an orphanage for example. Toys are still worth investing as long as they are not that expensive and our children will grow up to be kids that played with toys once, as how every normal kid went through.

19. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    If it makes my daughter happy I really don't mind. To be honest it depends on the type of the toy. I find kids prefer to play with things like bowls and boxes but electronic educational toys that make her smile are worth it

20. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Grab an educational toy if are on the fence about their necessity. If you're kids are young they won't mind at all. As kids grow up they tend to be more specific about what they want. Don't start them out with cool toys. Give them educational ones and they'll grow to love them.