AT&T door to door sales?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by SEA81 • Apr 21, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    This is kind of OT, but has anyone has an AT&T employee come to your door trying to sell their phone/internet/cable package? We had one stop by last night, but he was very strange - asked lots of weird questions and wanted to go behind The House. I'm 99% sure he was legit, but it really left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone else have this experience? I just signed up for some of their services, but this really rubbed me the wrong way.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I've never had that before. :S That really doesn't sound right at all. If you had just bought from them, why would they come by your house trying to sell you stuff anyway? Maybe check with your neighbors to see if any of them had him come by, too?

3. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    No, but I've had Cox Communications come to my door several times even though I was currently a subscriber! It was so annoying. I'm so glad I dropped Cox. I don't know why At&T would start going door to door. However, it is possible because these communication companies are really greedy and desperate for more customers. I wouldn't be surprised at all. However, it doesn't hurt to use safety precautions because you can't trust everybody.

4. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    That's weird. No, I've never seen one or ever heard of one.
    yeah, door to door sales can be pretty annoying.
    If you think about it, it's just like a telemarketer, except they're at your door, and you can't hang up!

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    @Jessi, I was at my parents' house. I signed up for their services at my house. My dad got really mad at the guy and told him to get off his property. I just hope they don't keep doing it! I read on another forum that they were asking people for their social security numbers and such.

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    This is so funny. I had a guy like that come to my house at the end of last year. I thought he was legit at first, but then I got to thinking it this something that ATT would really do? And he was definitely asking some weird questions. I just sort of wrote him off as a scam artist and told him I was not interested. Be careful with these people, because they can do all sorts of stuff to your acct with the right information.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a scam to me. I don't see AT&T going door to door, ever.
    We have had several incidents in our region of people going door to door as various company reps. They are seeing if anyone answers the door and if not, they break in. If someone answers, they try to get personal info for identy theft. You just have to be so very careful anymore.

8. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this before. I can understand them coming if you had signed up online or over the phone, but these days with all of our technology it sounds a little bit wonky.

9. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    This sound very odd to me, too. Have you thought about trying to call someone at a local office for AT&T to see if they know of anyone going door to door? They might even have heard about this person if he is some sort of con artist.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had this happen to me, but I know people are trying to sell stuff door to door. I don't understand why they would send a representative to your home unannounced. It smells real fishy and I want some answers. I would be careful next time that happens because you never know if that was AT&T, or a Joe blow off the street.

11. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    It might not be a scam. But if AT&T has to resort to door to door tactics, then things must not be going all that well for them. I know many gas and electric companies have started doing this too though.

12. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I would call your local branch and find out if they are sending people out to do this. If anything, they should not be asking to go into the house, or into the backyard for that matter.

13. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I've had that experience and I got a great price on my cable Internet. However, it wasn't At&T, it was Mediacom (the cable company in this area). I answered the door and my three year old son came running out (butt naked) to say hello to some strange guy and his manager (the sales guy was training). It was a little humiliating, but I really wasn't expecting a sales person at the door at 7:00 at night. On the bright side, we were the trainees first sale and we were very happy with our service. I think we pay like $35 per month for Internet.

14. Doodle12

Doodle12New Member

Threads:
    I hope you didn't let them "case" your house. I have never had any of the cable/internet/phone services appear at my door. Did they have any kind of ID to prove who they said they were? Even a fake ID would be pretty easy to make on a computer. In my experience sales people do not care about your yard or how difficult or easy a hook-up will be they just want to make the sale. You might want to call the ATT district office and see if they have people out in your area. If not you may want to notify the athorities.

15. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    OMG! I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I thought it was really weird. I mean door to door? Really? AT&T? I didn't even open the door wide enough for them to come in. My scam meter was up waay high that day.

16. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it happened to me with people from other companies. I never sign up for their offers, cause it seems to me that most of these are not 100% sincere, and they give you a multi paged contract to sign and act all in a hurry. Better go to the shop, see exactly what is all about from a more professional seller and then decide if you want to sign-up.

#16Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  17. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Did you ask for identification in order to verify his status as an AT&T employee?

18. SST

SSTNew Member

Threads:
    The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. At first I didn't think much about it but the guy, though young and personable, really seemed a bit weird. He kept kind of glaring at me and he asked all kinds of questions about my health because he saw oxygen tanks at the front door and me on a tank. His shirt said AT&T and he was asked me what cable I had and what phone and what they cost. At the end, he told me he was going to "leave it alone." I took that to mean that he couldn't beat the price I was getting, but afterward I worried. I just spoke to some friends about it earlier this evening b/c the more I thought about it the more afraid I was becoming. I hope this is legit. He was actually kind of sweet as well. Shook my hand twice. I'm not sure what to think or do.

19. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    You should definitely contact the customer service of AT&T and find out what's really going on..if they have been offering such door to door sales service than they must be aware of that and if they do not seem familiar to this..than there is definitely something wrong..you haven't given your personal details to that guy right?

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T started going door to door. I have phone and internet service with them.
    But they still call me to try and sell me cell phones and Uverse TV. And the AT&T internet software makes AT&T advertisements come up on almost every page I visit. They also mail me flyers trying to get me to sign up for the only two services I don't have from them. Plus their ads come on my local channels every 5 minutes. There's no getting away from them, so it seriously would not surprise me if they started going door to door. They are that aggressive.