Automated Cat Litter Box

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by RomanAnthonysMama • Mar 6, 2014.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I've recently seen on TV an advertisement for a cat litter box that cleans itself, and dispenses the waste into a bag that you just have to throw away and replace. It really appeals to me because I have two cats and a small baby at home, so cleaning the litter box can take up a lot of time, and can also get very messy. I would like to look into getting one, but another part of me feels like it is too good to be true. Have any of you tried these types of litter boxes, and if so, are they worth the money? Does it really make cleaning that much easier and less messy? Did your cat adapt well to the box?

2. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted one of these as well, but I think unfortunately it is too good to be true. Either the brush gets clogged up/stuck, or the cat is too scared to use it! They are expensive, plus you have to buy their bags to refill the tray. One product that I really liked and found useful though was this:

It's like a diaper genie but for kitty litter. You scoop litter straight into there and it holds in the odour and everything, and then when the bag is full you take it all out together. I hope I'm making sense with my explanation! I found it very convenient and it did save me a lot of time, because I didn't have to individually bag and take it outside every-time I scooped the tray.

3. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Without EmilyRose`s remarks, I would have imagined that box as an ultimate salvation. I have a cat, plus the cat of my parents and sometimes, the cats of neighbors, it`s quite the paradise of cats in my house, I wish I could clean easier the mess they leave

4. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Hey guys,

I don't currently own a cat, although I'd like one very much. I have friends with cats on the other hand and some of them have thought their cats to use the toilet. :) That might be something you'd like to try. Also, there is a type of hydro absorbent kind of sand that you can use in order to absorb, well, what can be absorbed. The rest I'm afraid you'll have to clean up yourselves.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    A regular cat box is really all I would need for cats. Urine and poop is going to smell. You can disguise it. You can clean it. You can have an electronic cat box deal with it on a regular basis. In the end, the places animals use to go to the bathroom will smell like bathroom.
    I use the clumping and clean it every day. As with that I take the entire box to the yard and bleach it like insanity. Smells like animals still poop in it though. Tis the bane of my existence. People without cats seem to notice a little more than those with. Luckily it's no where near where I entertain.

6. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    JoanMcWench, I am not sure if you saw my post about using wood pellets for a wood stove as cat litter or not. I have been doing this for a while now, and ever since I have switched from cat litter to the pellets, I do not get that litter box smell I used to. The wood seems to absorb the smell, even when I have not gotten to cleaning it out in a few days. The only time I have smelled it was after one of the cats has just had a fresh poop in it and didn't fully bury it under the pellets, but the smell doesn't stay for long. I am really amazed at how well it works. Best advice I ever took to use wood pellets and I am so glad I did.

I am not sure that the pellets would work with this new self cleaning cat litter box. The pellets turn to saw dust once the cat pees on them and I could see the brushes perhaps not being able to filter through the pellets or something. I could also see it getting clogged up like Emilyrose suggested.

7. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    On the one hand, it does sound very appealing to have a cat box that would clean itself. However, overall I really think that it is a pipe dream. I don't think that it would work as good as what you would imagine and I bet that when it comes to the time that you need to actually clean it all out, it would be more of a headache to clean than a traditional litter box.