Baby names

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Jennifer • Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    In previous years babies were named after the granny or grandfather, either from the mom or dad's side of the family? Is your baby named after one of your relatives or your spouse's relatives or does your baby have a unique name? Who chose your baby's name, you or your spouse, or did both of you decide on a name together?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My children all have Biblical names - David, Elizabeth and Adam. We're not particularly religious, but we chose the names because they have timeless appeal, and would be appropriate for the children all through their lives. We decided against naming them after living relatives, as we come from a large family, and it could have made for confusion at family gatherings.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt if at this point, I will be having any children, but I was always adamant that I was not going to name any children juniors, thirds or so ons. I believe that a child should have the chance for their own identity and there is no quicker way to stop that before it starts than naming them after someone else.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    My oldest daughter has my middle name, and the younger has her father's Mother's name for her middle name. I won't even mention who got the better end of the deal. I wonder if they are going to pass on a tradition I tried to start, or if it will just fizzle out like a sparkler on the 5th of July....

5. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    My wife and myself selected the names for our 3 daughters. Because we travel quite a lot, we went for local names that could be pronounced in our mother tongue (for the grand parents). It was fun !!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any children, but I wouldn't name my kids after anyone in the family. Especially since my family has old southern (US) names and they are really old-fashioned. My mom named me after her favorite soap opera star. I wouldn't name kid after a television character or actor.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I don't know, there are some really great names out there, but maybe I'd use one of the names as a middle name. I would've given a daughter the middle name Elizabeth after Whitney Houston and I would've given a son the middle name Allen after Allen Iverson. And I do have an old friend whose name I loved and I was going to use their name for a middle name also.

8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Im am currently pregnany with my first child - Her name will be Emma like my grandmother on my mother's side. I decided this before I even met the man who is now my husband. I chose her name after my grandmother passed away. If it would've been a boy his name would have been Nicholas Aland - My name is Nicole and my husbands name is Aland , clearly a decision among the both of us.

9. AvalonX

AvalonXBanned

Threads:
    My son's name is John. He is the 4th John Michael and the 6th first born son named John so yeah, I didn't want to break that up. My daughter is a Renee and names after nobody. I see so many original names out there I think people get crazy. Like someone said, the traditional names have lasting power for a reason. There is something to be said for something unique as long as the poor kid won't get tortured for it.

10. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    I have a 4 year old son and I named him Nathaniel Zachary. The meaning of his first name, Nathaniel, is a giftfrom God. Indeed, a blessing from Him. With his second name, I just liked how it sounds when I read it somewhere. And if ever I would have a daughter in the future, I would name her Zofia Dominique.:)

11. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    My kids have names after my favorite book and after mine and my husbands family. I would have liked to used Biblical names, but my husband is the one who brought me back to Jesus after a while.

12. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    If my fiancee and I have a kid, I want to name him or her after my heroes. If it's a boy, I have many, many names to choose from, such as Groucho, Django, Milton, Paul, Goldwater, Schopenhauer, Lester, Miles, Benny, Coleman, Ludwig, Art and many more. If it's a girl, it comes down to Ayn, Genevieve or Conegonde. I don't want to name the kid after anyone in my family whatsoever!

13. Lucian

LucianNew Member

Threads:
    Nops but here are some uniques names

Nyla
    Odalys
    Olivia
    Paige
    Paloma
    Pamela
    Paola

14. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I still don't have a child but if ever I already have one someday, I would name him after my favorite football player which is Christiano Ronaldo. That would be his first name! :D

15. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    Apparently I named my baby out of impulse. I named her Angelique Mary-Chryslene. Kinda cheesy but I like it. :)

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I both decided on the name. We wanted to name the baby after him, but we didn't want to use Jr. so we just looked for a name that may mean the same thing. We settled on a name that meant child or little. So our son's name became Cailan Paul which means little/child Paul.

17. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    The one thing that I've asked my husband was that we give our children simple names. One simple name that's not a tongue-twister :D

So, for our first child, I asked him if he's okay with the name Justin. And he was. Our family and friends thought it was a combination of both our names. It was not, we just both liked it.

For our second child, we mutually agreed on the name Hannah. His mother liked it too :)

And for our youngest, I did look for the meaning of names while I was pregnant with Matt. His name meant " gift of God". My husband wasn't keen on the short name but he still agreed.

18. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    My daughter's first name is simply a name that my husband and I agreed on. Her middle name is Adrienne, after my paternal grandmother. We mostly chose this name because we think it is beautiful. If we were to have a son, he would be named after my husband. If we were to have another daughter, I do not think that we would name her after any relatives.

19. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    My spouse did. He named him after himself..Daniel lol Im not really into boy names so I let my husband take this one so long as it was kept in moderation. He wanted to name him Bubba at first lol.