Bad Experience with Star Health Insurance

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by vij • Sep 15, 2014.

1. vij

vijNew Member

Threads:
    I had a bitter experience with Star Health insurance in India. My mom had been paying her insurance premium for more than 10 years. Star insurance was informed of her diabetic status and yet the consultant assured us it was fine and signed her up for the policy. He even made us take 2 policies for her - one standard policy and the other policy specially for diabetics and diabetes related ailments and complications.

Recently my mom was diagnosed with 1 arterial block and was advised angioplasty. We were categorically and completely denied by Star health insurance. They simply stated that since she is a diabetic she couldn't avail anything. When pointed out that we have 2 policies including the 'diabetic insurance' we were plainly told that 'arterial block' is not one of the complications of diabetes for which they would pay.

Maybe we should have been more careful before trusting these insurance companies easily. Our family feels ripped off!

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is why I can't stand behind these small policies. No matter how much people may have wanted to hang onto them after the ACA, the truth be told once they are delved more into these aren't worth the paper they are printed on. The reason I say this is because they will think of various reasons not to pay out our to penalyze someone anything to get out of paying.

I had a similar type of policy years ago, so I am talking from experience. I saw a doctor under this plan, and then about a year later I was covered under my current job with a more reputable well known insurance plan. Anyway, suddenly I started receiving bills for that examination that I had done under this plan a year ago. Turns out they never paid and were now telling me I was liable to pay because even though they were my plan at the time now that I drooped them it was up to me to pay. I never went back to such a health plan again. I am no fan of ACA and think that it needs to be worked on to benefit the people not the insurance companies, but there is a reason why it was getting rid of these types of insurance plans, they aren't real plans truth be told.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    How awful. I would not ever dare to look upon my face in mirror if I run something as shameful as these scummy health insurance companies. I have an already bad impression from health insurace business but this only contributed to worsen it. Thank you for sharing this, I hope your experience would help to prevent others to trust in these bunch of miserable dross.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you read the insurance policy thoroughly? Did you also make sure you understood all the terms and conditions stipulated in the policy before purchasing your insurance plan? Here's the things. It's either you missed a particular line which would have spared you the hassle you're going through at present. Some insurance policies deliberately use ambiguous words and sentences to confuse their clients. Though it appears that you will be covered, they were actually referring to something else and had no intention of covering you at all. That's why it pays not to buy insurance unless you've read their policy. If the policy is written in a vague manner, you know that's not the right insurance plan for you.

5. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    @vij@vij I usually find there to be a great conflict of interest between insurance companies and their sales people. The agents earn money from commissions mostly and this makes them do anything just to obtain a sale including misleading the customer. Due diligence should be carried out before obtaining an insurance policy from an agent.

#5Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @vij@vij I am from India and one of my family members has insurance policy from Star Insurance. I am shocked to hear that they have blatantly refused to settle the claim for a genuine case. I suggest you should knock the doors of consumer court and teach them a lesson. Your case is likely to win you your dues and compensation for your suffering.