Bankrupt after Christmas?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by vida_llevares • Jan 7, 2013.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Did Christmas leave you bankrupt? :D Ho ho ho ho!

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    For many years now, I have spread the cost of Christmas so I don't have to use the credit cards. This year, I bought books for presents for most of the family, as I found some really good deals. I also cut back on the amount of food I bought, yet we still had more than enough to eat. If anything, we've gone into January better off than usual, which is encouraging for the New Year finances.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started shopping online the week before Thanksgiving and compared prices on different websites, which turned out to be cheaper than walking into retail stores and buying things.
    I normally find the %50-%75 off after Christmas sales tempting and I buy more than I should, so I skipped them completely this year. I basically avoided the stores for most of the holidays and just bought everything online. I did all that so I could start the year with some extra money in the bank. I'm trying to be more prudent with money this year and not follow the same pattern as past Christmases.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Ho ho ho holy cow, it did! I spent most of the money I had on PayPal on gifts for myself and my family. Right now I have little to no money on my account, but since I don't really like spending money I don't have, I don't have any debts or owe money to anyone. I'm just broke :p

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, Christmas shopping didn't leave my bankrupt. I only a few gifts to buy and I planned well. In the past I never really did bankrupt myself during Christmas even when I had tons of gifts to buy.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I didn't have much to spend before Christmas, so I went extremely frugal, and I got some money gifts from distant relatives, so I actually ended the season more well off than I began it.

7. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    NOPE!! I was cash only, aside from one item on a credit card that was paid off right away. I was very proud of myself!

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, it sure didn't!

I did a great job this year and barely spent any money at all. And then, to top it off, my mom ended up sending me cash for Christmas, so it evened out some of my expenses anyway.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, Christmas didn't leave me bankrupt. I was raised to not spend what I don't have and I have stuck to this basic rule in my adult life. I spent more than I usually spend at Christmas, mostly on food and presents but it didn't leave me bankrupt :D.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only spend what I have. I have 4 teenage grandchildren that only wanted games, since there are so many games and systems I just gave them money. Easy for me, I did put one gift on a card which will be paid in full this month. No christmas debt for me.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I managed to do alright. I have to stick to a budget and gift list and then really watch myself when shopping so I don't overspend. I shop with cash only and do not put anything on credit cards. I learned that lesson the hard way one year and never put presents on credit anymore. I hope to do better next year by making gifts instead of purchasing them.

12. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    For many years it did leave me in the red come January however I have learned to plan my Christmas spending better. I start my Christmas shopping in August when prices are much lower. I also have enough time to hunt for not just a gift each person will appreciate but one that is on sale or priced really reasonably. I usually look for gift items whenever I do my regular shopping so that I don't need to plan additional Christmas shopping trips that cost money since you'll have to eat out and pay for gas.

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    No, not at all! I usually make a budget when I go shopping because I limit myself on how much would I have to spend. I don't spend a lot of money shopping after Christmas because I don't usually have big items that I would spend money on. For instance, the most expensive item I have bought for myself was the Samsung Note 8.0 tablet, which it costed about $379. I don't think I would go bankrupt on spending that amount of money.

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been bankrupt after Christmas, mostly because I budget myself and keep a maximum price for the gifts I get (usually $10-20). I usually go to the outlets in Buffalo for Christmas and I keep my eyes open all year round for any good deals. By doing this you can save a bundle and still get some great gifts! The great thing about outlets is that you can still get the brand and the quality all at a great price. Example: Aeropostale has a outlet there, a top that costs around $25, you can get for $5. Amazing deals during this time of year!

15. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    nope, i stopped buying for extended family. Its just my fiancé and I so we really dont end up spending much.

16. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    No, I refused to let Christmas break the bank this year. I used coupons and rebates anywhere I could find them. One of the best ways to get that electronic you want for cheap. Is to head over to eBay and buy one "like new" which automatically drops the price significantly.