Barbie a Timeless Doll

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by pafjlh • Jan 16, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I know that over the years the Barbie Doll from Mattel has taken a whole lot of criticism for being too body perfect. But I grew up with Barbie and always loved the doll. I never wanted to look like her, for me that was impossible, but I still loved her none the less. I remember that my mother use to make clothes of my and my sisters Barbie dolls. These were beautiful and I wish I could say that I took care of them and that I still have them, but I don't. My sister preserved hers and still has them.

The older I got the more I developed my mother's skill of sewing, and now sew Barbie clothes myself. Yes, I am an adult and I still have Barbie dolls. Not so uncommon there are many adults who are Barbie collectors, perhaps bigger collectors then I am. I have to laugh at the fact that when the newest doll craze comes out such as with Monster High a few years back people start wondering if it will do Barbie in. Barbie has survived many a doll craze over the years, and odds are she always will. Barbie is a timeless doll, and will always be a standard. I don't see any doll ever taking her place.

2. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I am not in a rush to buy Barbie dolls for my daughter at all. Granted, she's 2, so I have some time before I cross that bridge. However, I think the market is now oversaturated with doll toys.

Off the top of my head, there's the Disney Princesses (Elsa, Anna, Rapunzel, Cinderella), American Girl dolls, Minnie Mouse, and the Brats dolls- just so many options. I'm just scratching the surface of dolls that girls play with.

I honestly wonder if Barbie has hit her peak and is on her way downhill. I just don't see her around as much as I did when I was a kid.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I know there does seem to be more of a hype for the other dolls. However, of these dolls it would seem that the American Girl Dolls are the other brand that have stood the test of time. Yes, Disney brand of dolls have been around for awhile but these seem to always be changing due to the new movie such as Frozen being so popular now, but as you pointed out Minnie Mouse is a timelesd brand by them. As for the Bratz are they still being sold? I have to ask because at one time there was so much hype over these then they sort of died down and I haven't seem much of them in toy sections. Yes, Barbie does get over shadowed no doubt about that, but she is still out there, and she does still come out with new types of versions. As for your daughter, your right she is sitll a bit young for a Barbie doll my parents didn't give me one till I was seven years old.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you are right about Barbie. There are dolls that are hyped more but she is still around. My mom had some Barbies when she was young and she got me some for when I was a kid. I think the thing about these new dolls is they are only good to be toys. Barbie can be a toy or a collectible.

5. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I loved Barbie, Ken, and skipper when I was growing up. I had so much fun. I played with others on my block who had the same dolls. I used to create my own Barbie house out of an old discarded box. Later my mom bought me the Barbie carrying case, and a Barbie house.

I consider myself a feminist, or better yet a humanist. I never saw anything wrong with girls playing with Barbie dolls. It has always been a great doll to roll play, and create fun activities.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my first Barbie doll very well. I was 9 when I got one for my birthday. She had long brown hair, breasts and a "perfect body". The first thing I did, was to give her a unique hairstyle with my scissors and tattoo her. I also had much joy in "amputating" her legs and arms at times. After a while, I also felt it to be necessary to create a new head for her, as her silly smile bothered me a lot. My Barbie definitely inspired me to explore my creativity.