Beauty Products

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ke Gordon • Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Doctor OZ was all about saving money on beauty products yesterday. Experts from the industry said to buy drug store brands as the ingredients are very similar to what is offered at cosmetic counters even if sold in a lower end brand. For instance, a 60 dollar compact might be 6 at the drug store. Has anyone bought the lower end brands and found them nearly identical to high end brands? I buy my make up at the drug store or dollar store anyway, because you have to buy what you can afford. They also said moisturizers with sunscreen don't work nearly as well as sunscreen products even if they are the same SPF.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes its true - in fact its not just that they don't work nearly as well as sunscreen - but that they don't work at all.

For the simple reason that - although SPF infused moisturizers are marketed as products that are said to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun whilst moisturizing your skin at the same time - they don't - as it is impossible for the tiny amount of moisturizer required to moisturize the face - to contain enough SPF to actually protect it - even if you were not sunbathing but just walking around.

Which is why - as the term “ SPF infused moisturizer “ is nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell a more expensive product and there is now strong evidence to suggest that they offer no protection whatsoever - it would actually be way better for the skin, health and the wallet - to invest in a good quality facial sunscreen - especially as the number of reported cases of melanoma are rising rapidly each year.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The SPF in face creams are sun filters and not actual sunscreen. I used to work for some major beauty houses and we were trained to sell sunscreen with the creams as they do not offer protection.

What they do is reflect the light off, unlike a sunscreen that actually blocks the sun. It's the same for any product like lipstick of foundation with a SPF label, they are marketing ploys. It doesn't matter whether they are high end of not, it's all the same. Unless it says sunblock, it's really going to only filter the rays.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used many brands over the years. I used to buy the expensive brands, and still do buy a few things from them when I can afford to, but I have found many lower cost brands with just as good quality. Often, the packaging is nicer with the more expensive brands, but although that's nice, it isn't my purpose for buying cosmetics. Now that y'all have brought up sunscreen, I wonder if the clothing with sunscreen in it actually works? I have a hat that claims to have sunscreen in it. That's not why I bought it, it was just something extra that was offered, but now I'm curious.