Best Meals For Under A Buck

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love pot pie @Zyni@Zyni , and I like some of those impossibly easy pot pies you can use bisquick for a crust, and I think it uses a bit of chopped cooked chicken and mixed vegetables. The whole pie is very affordable and a good way to use leftover chicken. It also makes a lot so it is a good meal to have if you have a family.

#21Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  2. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    I don't really have the cost down to a science, but grains and beans are always really cheap, and are a lot healthier for you than McDonalds. You can buy a bag of dried beans for under a buck, and a bag of beans is literally SO many servings. It can last you a long time. Also, you can buy bags of rice in bulk, and make a bean and rice meal for very cheap.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right there 17emilyhalko. Beans and rice is one of the cheapest meals you can make, and has good nutrtional value as well. Now that the weather is cooling off, I just might make some. I like red beans and rice. Also, a vegan chilli can be a good and affordable meal. When you start adding meat, the cost goes up.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @djdontpay@djdontpay When you can buy lunch meat and stuff on sale, sandwiches can be an inexpensive option as well. I also like to take a few slices when I make a ham or a chicken or something and use that for sandwiches. Chicken goes on sale lots of times, and I can usually find good deals on hams as well.

That's a great idea. I imagine it's cheaper to start with your own seeds, but I see lots of places to buy both seeds and starter plants. Even if you don't have a huge garden, growing some of your own food could definitely help save money. I want to try container gardening.

#24Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    • Ham and Cheese Sandwich
    • Egg and Chorizo
    • Cheese and eggs
    • Baked potato
    • Jelly and Peanut Butter sandwich
    • Beans and Rice
    • Beans and Cheese
    • Nachos with only Cheese

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live tuna and bread will normally cost under 2 dollars at the least. As far as fast food concerned, you can buy some menu items for a dollar or less, but you can never get a meal. Note, you might possibly be able to get TV dinners for 1 dollar, if they're on sale.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You know guys your US buck is equal to INR 68 and 75 against British Pound which is enough to buy a decent meal in any roadside eating joint. I agree it would be nothing in a middle class restaurant but one can get enough to save yourself from starving.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't think of anything other than French Fries for $1 in Australia but back in my home country $1 is equal to INR 65 which is enough to buy a full meal at a budget roadside restaurant. There is so much to buy for one dollar that can last for a whole day so that is not a problem for us. But then living standards and salary/wages are different in different countries.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    For under $1, I can buy a meat dish, rice, and soda to boot at local eateries near our subdivision. I can also pick up a hotdog sandwich with drinks and potato chips at convenience stores or go for buy 1 take one chicken burger with cheese and coleslaw. If I have to cook, there are many dishes and recipes that cost under a dollar to prepare. For instance, if I have leftover cooked rice and don't have time to cook, I can eat salted duck eggs with sliced tomatoes. I think I can also get away with a medium sized fried chicken quarter, creamy dory fillet, or one piece pork chop all to go with rice. Home made dishes are only slightly cheaper but are many times more filling and appetizing than fast food.

10. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    Growing up as kids my family was poor and the neighbors were poor too because we lived in a poor neighborhood. And my friend's mom would make this super cheap meal that a single person you could get 4 servings for $1. And that buttered noodles and I usually use spaghetti noodles, cook the whole box. And for a single serving, I use a quarter stick of butter and you can also use garlic salt or parmesan cheese.