Best Ways To Save On Gas

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Treadlight • Jan 9, 2014.

1. Treadlight

TreadlightMember

Threads:
    I have heard that if you buy gas at night, or during the coolest part of the day, you can actually get a little more out of the pump. Something about the heat makes it to where you just don't get as much as you could.

Are there any other tips that can help people save money on gas?

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Most people are told that driving in neutral can save you gas. According to Jeremy clarkson on top gear that is not the case. Your engine takes up more gas when coasting in neutral than when coasting while in gear. I think that is something to try for those that drive manual cars. I have never thought about it in this way and so it is may actually be a major savings technique.

3. 29525500

29525500Member

Threads:
    I am not sure how fuel pumps measure output so I can not comment on pumping at lower temperatures. The best way to save on gas is to change your driving habits. Do not accelerate faster than you need to, try to time your speed so that you do not get caught at many stoplights, and try to use your cruise control more. Every car will have a speed at which it has a peek efficiency so do some research on your particular car to try to find it. A general rule of thumb is the lower your rpm the less fuel you are using.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One strategy I know of to save gas is simply to reduce travel or reduce travel to unnecessary places. Another strategy involves maintenance at an oil change shop. Finally, an extreme measure might involve buying a car with better gas mileage or even a hybrid or electric. However, note, electric cars can normally only used for very short trips in a city.

#4Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Saving on gas is towards consumption. The most basic is the speed. According to one driving instructor, the most economical speed is running 60 kilometers per hour up to 80 kph. Another factor is the minimal use of brakes. When you step on the brakes that means you are wasting the momentum of the vehicle. And not to forget that idling for so long wastes gas so it is better to turn off the engine when waiting for more than 5 minutes.