Beware Of Con Artists

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Rossy • Jul 28, 2017.

1. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    I have come across con artists on some of the online selling platforms. I have been sold fake products a couple of times. I would like to urge everyone to do a thorough background research on some of the ads posted on social media selling platforms. At least check on the product before buying it. Again do not send any money to individuals before delivery unless it's a well known company.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know as there have been many people going through a bad situation because of this. Some people spend hundreds of dollars in items that turn out to not work or be fake. Some even get things that are so used up or no longer work at all. This is sad because even the people who sell genuinly end up losing customers because they no longer trust not well known sellers.

3. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    There's a proverb that goes, if a deal is too good, think twice because if it sounds too good to be true, then probably it is. I have probably lost count of the many times I have walked right into the trap of these scammers in broad day light. Their deals are so irresistible. They get your heart pumping, palms sweating leaving your innocent mind unable to think of anything else but their offer.

One thing I have never been able to make out, is how do they actually know what you really want? After I had tried gambling, football betting to precise, for so long with more failures

4. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    (Continuation)
    After I had tried gambling, football to be precise, for so long with more failures than success, I finally lost confidence in myself. I went ahead to look for odds from "experts".

No sooner had I started searching, than I met with a guy on facebook who told me he was selling fixed matches. He called it a "sure bet" Desperate to "get rich" quick, I blindly went into a deal with him. I sent him money and he sent me the odds. As if that was not enough harm already, he went ahead to persuade me to stake high. I innocently obeyed.

I sat and patiently waited. During this time, I budgeted what I would do with the money I would win. Brothers and sisters, I lost my bet during the first half of the match. The guy blocked me on facebook, and guess what? I lost twice. I lost all my savings. The rest is history.

Well, it is a fact that these con artists are around us and I know they will continue to exist for sometime. What I would suggest is that people should be taught how to avoid their traps.

I would suggest that people research thoroughly before, they get into a partnership with a stranger. If buying a product, research about reviews and past customer experiences as well as scams.

Unlicensed get rich quick schemes should also be banned as unsuspecting citizens are really falling prey to scammers. Tough penalties should be enforced for anyone caught carrying out such an activity. People should also be encouraged to work hard and not want to get rich overnight with little effort for easy come, easy go.

Last but not least, any person found out to be a con artist or even a company, should be globally exposed so that people may take warning. Thank you.

5. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    There are tons of con artists not just online, I have met some of them myself. I lost a few bucks but at least I found out what they were doing was just a con. The good thing is, I have met them and I know where they live unlike someone who is selling fake stuff or earning programs online. You won't stand a chance against these type of cons so always be on the lookout. If it's too good then it might not be real.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet is rife with all kinds of people. Just like the real society where there are good and bad, you have to be discerning when dealing with people you don’t really know. We never patronize an online seller who is not well established. It is scary to buy from small-time sellers because they may be a scammer. But one policy that can assure you of any internet transaction, insist on the bank deposit for your payment. The bank receipt can be used in court and the seller’s identity cannot be faked in the bank account.

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews on products and check either the seller's or the website's page to make sure i'm getting what i have asked for, and i have even contacted some sellers for verification.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Since I was scammed when I first sent money via money transfer service by an individual seller, I promised myself that I will not let myself be scammed again by sending money first. So if the site doesn't have a check-out option like Ebay or Lazada, then I won't transact using a money transfer service, it would strictly only be meet-ups to be sure that my money won't get stolen.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. The Internet is one of the good platforms for creating con artists and marketing fake products and you can see this especially in the affiliate marketing sites. There will be ads which say get rich quick in one night without working. There are people who believe that signs up, invest money and in the end, the loss is theirs. A friend of mine lost a lot of money in one such site and the worst part is she couldn't able to contact them further more for the refund and they just disappeared. It is wise to do a thorough background research before buying any products, or before investing any money. :rolleyes:

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'll never entrust my money or goods to just about anyone no matter how credible their website may look or how attractive their pitch can be. Reputation means a lot to me when dealing with money. It's so easy to build a great looking website so it means nothing to me if it's not backed by a solid reputation. I prefer to transact with banks and invest on securities with modest earnings rather than be carried away by aggressive marketing and promises of quick earnings by fly-by-night companies.

I've never bought anything from a social media seller because I don't like the idea of paying for items that haven't been delivered to me which is mostly the kind of arrangement they want. That arrangement would have been fine when dealing with reputable companies but not with individual sellers with no proven track record.

11. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    It is sort of scary that there are so many scammers and con artist online and off line. I always to my little background checks around them, just in case. I unfortunately got scammed and nearly lost $150.00.

12. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon and Ebay have those fake seeds. Someone on Ebay promises that they sell blue strawberries like this one:

[​IMG]

but after planting the plant and waiting for months, You will end up harvesting Chinese strawberries instead.

[​IMG]

There are also sellers that promises to sell jalapeno seeds but you will end up harvesting a generic green chili instead.