Beware Of Scam Calls

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Kaushik Angara • Dec 10, 2016.

1. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, my uncle received a phone call from a person. He was claiming that he was calling from the bank where my uncle had an account. He told him that they were updating the bank accounts of all the account holders and for that he would need his account number and his PIN. My uncle did not think for a moment and gave away his account details in a jiffy. What amazes me is that my uncle himself works in the bank as a manager.

After 10 minutes of giving the details, my uncle received multiple SMSs stating that amounts ranging up to 40000 were debited from his account. He was shocked and before he could react and get his account blocked, the damage had already been done. He lodged a complaint with the police that finally they concluded that the hacker used the amount for shopping on various e-commerce websites and that amount hasn't been recovered till now.

I request you all to be aware of such calls and not to provide sensitive information such as Account numbers, Credit Card and Debit Card details, PIN etc. Also, do not respond to anonymous emails asking for sensitive bank account information. Stay clear of such frauds.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for such an information. I used to get several calls from my banks asking for updating information but never for a PIN.

I am very careful these days with calls and messages.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether in the cell phone or in the landline, scammers are there trying to put one over you. That is one reason why we installed a caller ID in our landline plus the answering machine. We do not lift the phone if the caller would not identify himself and if he does, he should clarify what he wants. For the cellphone, it is advised not to answer when the caller’s phone is not registered in the phone book. It’s so simple, right?

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the warning. I personally don't think that anyone not even the bank should ever ask for the PIN number I think that information is only meant to be for the account holder. There are so many scammers around no matter if you are using the phone or internet always on a hunt to steal from someone innocent.