Book Stores - What Do You All Like?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Jason76 • Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, there is Booksamillion and Barns and Noble, among others. How about your land? Which of them have the best quality and/or selection? Which have the best bargains? Which are the cheapest, regardless of other factors?

#1Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I always visit this local book store, named Popular Book Store. I don't think they are considered as really good book store, but there are Popular Book Stores almost everywhere, so we can visit them much easier. Moreover, there is just one nearby my house, so we always visit this book store. For online book store, I always prefer Book Depository as I can always find the books I want to buy, and the shipping cost is free worldwide.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In our country's capital, there are lots of bookstores and only few of them have a branch in our provincial capital city. In our locality, we have the National Bookstore. It has so many books to select from. The books I used to buy are about music, writing, success stories, among others. They are cheap.

4. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, we have the Crossword , a chain of bookstores which I love visiting occasionally. But these bookstores are more like a luxurious malls and the setting is quite attractive and appealing, but the books are usually without any discounts. So I mostly prefer browsing through smaller bookstores which usually give some discount.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has actually been quite a while since I went into any book store, Once I started reading books online with my Kindle, it seemed like carrying around a heavy book to eat does not make sense. Also, books at the bookstores are very overpriced, it seems like to me. Most of the time, when I was looking for a book to read, I went to either the used book store or to the thrift store.
    People will buy a new book, read it, and then either donate it to the thrift store, or they sell it to the used books store so they can buy one that they have not read.
    Amazon has a great selection of ebooks, plus our library has ebooks that you can check out, so I just get all of my books that way anymore.

6. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    You know I am sad to say that I live in Michigan and where I live there isn't a bookstore in a 50-mile radius. If you want to buy a book you're going to need to buy it from Amazon, Meijer or Walmart. Because I am sad to say the only bookstore around here closed like 3 or 4 years ago because they were not getting any business. Everyone reads ebooks these days!

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    We have Books-A-Million and Barnes & Noble as well-but I like to shop at Amazon- online for used books these days, since they are a lot cheaper and also they have about any book you may be looking for as well. Also Amazon is opening physical stores in some of the bigger cities- I think its a matter of time though before they are in about every city maybe. I think these stores right now are in places like Seattle,Portland Oregon,NYC,San Diego,LA,and some other eastern cities like Massachusetts,and also NJ.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the books that I read are just novels for entertainment; but I also read books about health, diet, or religion. When I am reading a book to study and learn something, then I prefer a regular paper book because I can find something that I have highlighted and wat to re-read again easier in a paper book than I can in an ebook. I still usually end up ordering the paper books on Amazon, because they have a great selection of both new and used books, and in several formats.
    Another thing that Amazon does that I like is give you free updates when a book is updated. My amazon account will show me when there is an update for a book, so that I can update it, and they will actually give you a free update on printed books that you have purchased through the Kindle Store. I think that they have to actually have been new books when you bought them, and not used ones, which is what I mostly buy from Amazon.