Books or Ebooks? What's your preference?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by mbc221 • Apr 12, 2012.

1. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I probably would have said books. That was before I got my tablet. Now I stick to ebooks only. My tablet is easier to tote around than a book since I usually read books with hundreds of pages. I don't have to waste gas going to a book store and I don't have to wait for shipping if I order it online. I don't have to worry about it getting damaged since the books are stored online.

2. jerryskc

jerryskcNew Member

Threads:
    I am moving more and more towards ebooks. I was given a basic Kindle for Christmas and it's been great, especially for travelling. I read a lot on long journeys and when I am on vacation and brininging 6 or 7 books is a pain. I also like the fact that most books I want to read can be downloaded pretty much instantly from Amazon etc. so I can order and read within a minute! That is much better than going to the store.

However I still love paper books and I borrow a great deal from the library which is free reading. So, for the moment I will stick to hard copy library books when I am at home and use the Kindle when travelling. Waiting for a usable way to borrow ebooks from the library. I know it exists but I haven't found it at my local libraries yet.

3. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I enjoy actually holding the book in my hand, old school style but I have read ebooks before. In the long run I would much rather have the actual book nothing is cooler than a book shelf filled with actual books that I have read. That would be more impressive than an empty one with an e reader sitting in the middle of it haha

4. chassitymiller

chassitymillerNew Member

Threads:
    I just can't seem to let go of the good old fashion book. My middle child and my sister swear by ebooks, but I just feel like they aren't the same. I worry about dropping the reader and losing the books. I also purchase alot of reference books for work and I like the idea of having the hard, physical copy so that I can open it up anytime to reference it. It could just be my age and resistance to change :)

5. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    There are definitely pros and cons to each of them. I love books because I love the smell and the enjoyment of holding it in my hands - especially books that a large number of my friends want to buy and I'm the first to buy it! :D The Kindle is definitely useful when it comes to travelling, as I can easily slip it inside my handbag. At this moment, I only have a small amount of e-books in it because I still keep leafing through my books to read.

6. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I just got a Nook so I don't have that much experience with ebooks. From my limited experience, I prefer "real" books. I just like being able to hold a book in my hand and turn the pages. I do see the benefits to the ebook though, you can carry around tons of ebooks on a ereader as opposed to only a few real books. I like the space saving aspects of having an ereader, but nothing like snuggling up with an old fashioned book.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a Nook and nothing is better than e-books. I will actually consider reading more books now that I know that I don't actually have to store them in my home or return them to a library. Being able to keep all of them on a unit no bigger than a sheet of paper or thicker than a legal pad is a huge help to people in small living spaces.

8. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what I am going to be doing and using the book for. For example if it is a wood working book, then I want the paper so I do not ruin my ereader. However, if it is just a novel then an E book does great!

9. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'm still up in the air on that one. If I ever purchased an eBook reader then it's definitely going to be a Kindle.

I work all day on the computer and the last thing I want to do is look at another screen for an hour or so. Plus, I love everything about a physical book: the cover, the pages, the smell and just the romantic feel of reading a piece of classic literature at a coffee shop on a chilly autumn day.

One positive thing about an eReader is the fact that you can get hundreds and hundreds of books for free at Amazon. So that's what immediately got my attention to think about purchasing one. Let's hope the basic Kindle will go down to $50.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like e-books because you can read a lot of books without using up space. Physical books make clutter in your house, so the alternative is e-books. I like the animations when you turn the page with the e-book. I know there aren't that many people going to libraries these days, except to surf the net.

11. Wheely

WheelyNew Member

Threads:
    Books

I'm usually an advocate of technology, but when it comes to the books I read, either for education or for pleasure, I still prefer a regular paper book. I can't pinpoint exactly why. I think its just because no technology can replace having a physical book you can put your hands on. There's still some things that are easier to do with a real book--flipping through the pages, highlighting, writing in the margins. Plus, you can read a book anywhere at anytime, without having to worry about charging it or reading through glare.