Books Vs. Television

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sunnyside • Apr 21, 2016.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've outgrown television and I've only been watching the local news lately. I don't really like watching movies. Though I love reading books, I've been leaning towards online reading materials recently. Books can sometimes drag but websites will generally cater to the typical internet reader who skim rather than read thoroughly so I can choose to read slow when I have time or read fast when I'm in a hurry. Best of all, online reading is free.

2. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I love reading a book. I can let go of television shows, for books. I like reading a story rather than watching the movie. Movies somehow don't do justice to the written version of the story. Reading is more fun. They are more descriptive. For me the biggest example is Harry Potter series. You will not like the movies, after you have read the books. There are many things that you will find missing in the movies.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have found out that the books are getting back into the market. However there are lot of authors lately. And finding the right book is not easy. There has to be clutter management in that case. You have to focus on how you can avoid that. Same is the case with the TV as well.

4. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, it becomes easier for me to join the dots when I see motion pictures. Reading books is interesting, but if it's long, am likely to get bored half way through, especially if it doesn't have pictures.

Though I prefer television to books, books have the advantage of portability and so you can read it even when you're out on a picnic. Another plus for books is that they are more durable, unlike storing a movie in a flash disc which is prone to damage, physical or by a virus.

5. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I read a lot but I also watch a lot of TV. I can't precisely weigh which one I spend more time on. But recently, I am spending less time watching TV and more time on books. TV time is a very popular period in most homes. There is no book time in most homes. But that is not to say TV is all bad. There are advantages to having TV in homes.

6. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I would prefer both because they have their own benefits in a quite manner.Books are always long-lasting and friendly to us.We can read books at any time sitting at every place in our home.But to get information from TV,we have to be bounded at a specific place in our room or anywhere else.If we miss our favorite program,we may become helpless to watch it again on TV.

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It's hard to compare the two since both of them can be educational and entertaining but as a different platform, but i prefer books more

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Television for me only when I'm watching movies, because I no longer watch virtually anything on the open TV (because the programming of the channels has been showing itself very bad for years).

Books are my second option.

9. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    If there is a story in a book form and also in a movie, I did prefer to watch the movie to reading the books. Reason being that it's more convenient and easy for me. Reading books takes times, and it takes longer time for me to finish a book, so I don't get the reason wasting time reading a book whereas I can just watch the movie and get the whole point of view of the story.

10. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    In as much as I enjoy watching reading books during my formative years than in the secondary school in Nigeria, I think I've grown to fall in love with watching TV and any story related series shown on TV and the reason is just that I tend to remember more of what I watch on TV than reading it through books. I even prefer to download the pdf forms of popular books that I have interest in reading than scrambling through the hard copy pages every day just to read them.

I have grown to enjoy watching things on TV and other digital forms rather than making out time to read books. maybe I just followed the trend of events.

11. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Reading books and watching TV are both important to me. Few years back, I used to read a lot of books. I used to spend nearly 2-3 hours everyday reading books. Nowadays my reading time has reduced to 1-1.5 hours a day. Now I read mostly during the weekends. I prefer to watch more TV now as compared to reading books. TV has become a part of everyday life. I watch news, sports, sitcoms and movies on TV.

I have read the Harry Potter series and Lord of the Rings series and also watched the movies. The books are much more deeper. If the movie was completely based on the books, then the movie length would be enormous.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to go in phases when it comes to my preferences here. I always like books better but I cannot find the patience to read all the time so it is sparing, but I try to keep up.