Brake Job OUCH!

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Mockingbird • Dec 30, 2014.

1. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I am just curious, on average how often do you have to have your automobile brakes serviced? My brakes just went on my 2004 Malibu, normally you have some indication that they are running thin but this time they just went right to the metal. All I can say is OUCH, the repair bill was not cheap, so soon after the holidays too..
    This is the first time this ever happened, had the car inspected in the fall and everything was great. Is it unusual to wear down your brake pads in 4 months?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I really don't know. It depends on how often you use the breaks I think. Drivers who often go uphill/downhill replace their breaks more often than those driving in the city or in the country. As an indication of breaks becoming thin, you do hear some noises coming from the tires. What did the mechanics say about your situation? Glad you didn't run into some sort of accident.

4 months for break pads? I think that's unusual.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    This is another situation where you have to keep the breaks well maintained. Otherwise, the bill to replace them is often thru the roof. Therefore, getting a checkup on the breaks before they get bad is a must and you should either add break fluid or have the checkup person do it.