Burying Your Pets At Home

Discussion in Pets started by littlewitch66 • Oct 4, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    When my pets go I always take their bodies home and bury them in the garden. To date I have two dogs, one cat and two hamsters buried in a very small space because even though I know they aren't there any more I find it comforting to know they are close by. It's also much cheaper than having them cremated at the vet as they charge a terrible price.

What do you do when you lose your beloved pets?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a sad topic that reminded me of my first dogs who have passed away. When our first dog named Jedi died at 10 years old, we buried her in the backyard. After some weeks, we learned of a crematorium for animals. We exhumed the body of our dog and had it cremated. Now the ashes are in an urn here in our living room. Our second dog was also cremated. And although cremation is expensive, it gives us peace of mind and a feeling that we did the best for our deceased dogs.

3. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see any issue with it, to be honest i feel that it's far more meaningful to bury the pet in a relatively familiar place than somewhere else.

4. LesY

LesYMember

Threads:
    I have only lost one pet, my beloved bunny. It happened when I was a kid so of course it was a big deal for me :(. I buried him in my backyard because we had a big space back then, and I have always though it was the best decision because you can be close to them and also their bodies can return to the nature.

Now I'm not saying that cremating a pet is wrong, I'm just more inclined towards burying them in a personal space.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    All of the pets that we have sadly had to put down was done through clinics, and the others, the cats mostly, just ran away as I understand most of them do. I am not sure but this might be a little tough for me to think about.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We have done that to all of our pets. All of them were buried in our backyard, and we have quite an assorted group in there because we have had chickens, hamsters, dogs, cats, and even a turtle in there. I'm pretty sure the corpses in our backyard are around 30 to 40-ish already.

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    So far, my four pets have died. One was eaten by a tiger and we did not find any of his body parts. The three pets, two dogs and one cat are burried in our backyard. When we burried the pets, we planted mangoes over theri graves. When we eat mangoes, we remember out pets.

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have a big compound and enough place to buy our pets which we lose them. We have already buried four of them. It is not a happy thing to see them go and the burial is done with loads of tears. We have also buried our cats and one rooster.

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is such a beautiful and touching gesture! When I was little, I had a few cats and a dog, we had to give away the cats because we moved from that house to another one which didn't have much space for the cats. But the dog, I remember died and we buried it close to our home. I was too little then but I still remember him. It is a very sad feeling to see a loved pet go away but it brings a feeling of a closure if they are given a proper burial.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    When you have a pet, there is every tendency that you are going to dot on them more than you ever thought and when they are gone, you are going to feel a pain that you can never imagine.

I haven't lost a pet yet but my grandmother has and it wasn't a pleasing moment. I had to watch her cry over her cat like it's a human being that die. She buried it inside our compound close to her room.

I have a dog Billy, I don't even want to reason him dying yet or what I would do because I'm 100% certain that his death is going to break me.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman Yes when we first have them dying seems such a long way away but we know that we are going to lose them at some point because they don't live as long as humans. Even though it is heartbreaking I wouldn't want my dogs to be left without me so I won't have any more after mine have gone.

#11Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Most people I've known who have pets usually bury their dead pets in their back yard. Like yourself they feel more comfort that way and they don't deal with other costs. They do say their good byes in a very proper way and then they just feel happy they will remain where they are and have memories of how they used to play there when they were alive.

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely turn that most pets doesn't have long life span compared to human being. I believe that this is one of the reason why most people don't fancy having a pet because of the attachment that comes with owning one.

The eventual death that comes with the pet death makes them to back out from owning them.

14. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Last month I lost a cat. I found its body lying on grass in the compound with bruises I think it was attacked by a fierce animal from outside that entered the compound. I dug a hole in one of the corners in the compound and buried it. I did that far from water source due to the fear of water contamination.

15. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your losing your cat in such a way. I could imagine the horror such cat passed through before eventually dying. Nobody should wish such on any pet animal.

Just try and make sure that your surroundings is safe for your new cat pet to venture away from the house, otherwise, don't allow it to stray away from the house. A snake bite my maternal grandmother's dog when she entered the nearby bush around the house and the venom killed the dog before help could get to it.

16. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    I wish we have animal cremation here or cemetery exclusively for pets. The only option that I had to my deceased dog is to bury him very deep in my garden. I don't put my pet in a box it will literally decompose and for sure it will make my garden soil and plants healthy.

17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to bury our well-loved pets in the back yard where their bodies can decompose naturally. I wouldn't think of cremating pets and placing their ashes in an urn at home because it will simply prolong my agony and expose their remains to unpredictable situations like robbery, flood, and other natural disasters. We have two dogs and three cats buried in our back garden and my son has placed a tiny cross to mark their graves.

18. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Your perspective of burying is remarkable and i wish a lot of people would share it with you as it makes it easier to let go and move on.

19. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You can donate them to science because it gives their death more meaning. Donating them to science means their body will train a future veterinarian how to save more animal lives.

If you are very attached to your pet and wanted to give it a burial, cremation is a good option .

20. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    That is really nice of you, I have buried one dog female in my yard, she died at 9 years old and we loved this dog very much. It is the only animal buried in my yard and I will not bury another animal here.
    I do have a dog, cat, birds, and fish now, and two tortoises, but if any of them will die I will find another place to bury them.