Buying A Car Off Ebay...really?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by pwarbi • Oct 11, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    As I'm sure we are all aware, these days you can buy practically anything from eBay and other similar online marketplaces but would you be willing to buy a car off there? Recently I was in the market for a new car, and while we looked around at all of the usual dealers both online and offline,there are sellers now that have eBay stores selling vehicles and often at very low (too good to be true) prices, and it made me think why would anybody trust these sellers?

There are numerous horror stories about people buying items off eBay and not being able to get their money back after receiving goods that are inferior or even not getting the goods at all, so why would people be willing to take the risk when we're often talking about thousands of dollars? Has anybody ever bought a vehicle off eBay and if so what was your experience?

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I would think there would be a better way to secure your purchase with a vehicle than with a lot of other products.

Would you even consider exchanging any money before test driving and having the keys in your hand? I think I'd worry that the car could be stolen if it's too cheap. I'd be checking out the title etc. first for sure.

I don't see myself buying a car from eBay or Craig's List or anything like that. There are, however, some good options online for comparison shopping to narrow down your search instead of hitting the pavement when you're in the market to a buy a new car.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy a car from eBay however cheap they offer. No way. Actually I am not in favor of buying used item so eBay is last on my favorite shopping sites. I know people find certain good deals on eBay otherwise but car is the last thing one would like to buy without proper testing everything.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Possibly a lot of people nowadays buy cars from online sites. Actually, how different would it be than using newspaper classifieds? Anyhow, in order to protect the buyer's security, I'm sure they have safeguards so someone doesn't drive 1000 miles to get ripped off. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if that's true. I should ask my nephew who bought a car from someone nearly 500 miles away once.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree people buy cars online like other things but only in developed countries where everything is transparent and law is strict against bad deals but in our country people take advantage of unsuspecting public and the worst thing is that there are no appropriate rules in place which safeguard the interest of victims or they take too long to settle.