Buying A Refurbished Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Oct 30, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been struggling with my old computer for quite a while. It still worked fairly well, but was very loud, and most importantly of all, it used Windows Vista. Because of that, I no longer qualified for some of my online money making sites, because they had upgraded their systems, and no longer accepted users who didn't have systems using Windows 7 or above.

Money was the big reason for holding off and trying to keep that system going for as long as possible, but eventually it got to the point where I was losing money, and so I decided I had no choice but to spend money to make money. I could have purchased a Windows 7 or above program and installed it on my existing computer, but since my computer was quite old, I though the better investment would be to upgrade the entire system.

I had been looking around for quite a while, just to see what was available. I knew there was no way I could afford a new computer, but if I purchased a refurbished one, I wanted to make sure I got the best I could get for my money. I found a company on eBay that is a Microsoft authorized refurbisher. As usual, I looked over their feedback in depth, as well as their products. They had quite a variety of systems available, and I ended up getting one that met my requirements. It also has a one-year warranty, which gives me some peace of mind.

I've had pretty good luck in the past with refurbished electronics, so I didn't hesitate to purchase a refurbished computer. I am happy with my purchase, and so far, it's working out well for me.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes these types of computers can be killer bargains because they come from the canceled orders of other people. In that case, they never came out of the box and hence are like new. Note, in other cases, the box was opened by the original buyers and some damage did take place, but the company did it's best to fix the problem before reselling it. Anyhow, in any case, your getting a better deal with a refurbished computer than with a new one.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also in hunt for a replacement to my 7-year old desktop. But my budget is delaying the purchase. I plan to buy a laptop which is more expensive than a desktop. But I will not settle for a refurbished unit since it can give me a problem later on. I am waiting to complete my budget.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Are you sure laptops are more expensive than desktops? It seems to be the other way around, especially if the desktop is meant for gaming. At all the local stores where I live, the laptops are either equal in value to the lowest level desktops or they are cheaper. I wonder why this situation would be different in your area.

5. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    Refurbished computers can usually be as good as a brand new one, if it is well made and taken care off, and of course it will be cheaper. If you can I suggest buying a refurbished computer as I had no problems with the one I used to have which was refurbished.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In fact I got one refurbished computer since August this year and it has been working perfectly, it's just like I got a new computer. I think I am lucky, looking to going back to that same store to get two or more for a give out. I got the computer for less than $150, I can say it's one of my best purchases this year.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any issues with the refurbished computer I bought. The only issues are personal ones, in that it's a leap from Vista to Windows 10, and I haven't had the time to sit down and make sure that all of the settings are correct. I have some problems with uploading pictures from my cell phone and/or SD card, but once I set aside some time to rework the settings, it should be fine.

I have my eye on a laptop next, although it will be a while, since I need some other things first. When I'm ready to purchase, though, I'll look equally at new and refurbished units. I saw that Lenovo has an entry level Chromebook that looks as if it would probably be sufficient for my needs.

8. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is a good idea to buy a refurbished computers. At first a refurbished computer may look like it is in perfect condition, however, you will know about the computer you bought only when you begin to use it. If the computer you bought begins to create problems, you will have to spend money to mend it and you might end up paying the price of new for an old device.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, laptop is about twice as much as a desktop. That's why it is so hard for me to make a decision to shift to a laptop from an old desktop. A laptop can give me the convenience of using the computer anywhere especially inside our house, I can even work when I am in bed. I am still hopeful that I can buy a new laptop before the year ends.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is nice to hear that you have a replacement of your outmoded computer and started your online job without delay. For your information, lately our third elder daughter had purchased a surplus 4 sets of computer for her Internet business. She only bought them in a low prices. They're running as efficient as the new one.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problems in buying refurbished computers. I have a cousin who is a technician so I don't have any problems in getting refurbished computers since he can build one for me if we need one, and sure that I can check and get all the piece that I would want for my desktop, and I can customize it as well :) Not to mention that you can save a lot rather than buying a new one. In fact, we're using one for months now and it's still working perfectly :)

12. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I have a refurbished desktop which I use right now. The only thing that is brand new is the power supply and the case. I have been using it for about two months, it's quiet and low in electric consumption. I can even play a MOBA game with it which is a lot of fun. About the consumption, it added around 6 dollars on my monthly electric bill which is fair enough since I use my desktop around 12 hours or more everyday. Getting a refurbished desktop is okay, as long as you have someone who can fix it for you if ever you would have problems.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not in favor of refurbished items especially phones and computers for the fact that most of these items are the ones which the customers return during return period and have some or the other defect. I have faced this problem twice once when I bought a mobile for INR 1000 less but it's battery was not up to the mark hence I had to send it back and the other was again a mobile phone which had a defective SIM slot. However I had no problem returning them both as I detected the flaw within a few days.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the refurbished items end up broke in a small time, it did happen to all of us, but in the situation when you do not have any money to buy a new PC this choice is the best.
    I had a friend that bought a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note and he had no problem with it, I guess it depends on your luck!

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, but in the case I have not enough money I would prefer to buy it from a local source selling used item that too after checking the item carefully at the source and before paying for it. I bought one old laptop in 2013 from a local seller (Listed on Gumtree) that was open to inspection. I found couple of shortcoming but the price was so attractive I still bought it and sold later for almost the same price what I had paid.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that people who are making low term investment make use of the used products. Though I don't see point of making use of the used computers and laptop. As they're nothing but nightmare and going to be needing lot of reuse. And on that point it'd be seriously something to consider for the usage. I guess we have to see what else we can make use of for the laptop and the desktop computer. That being said, it all depends on others.

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    You're quite lucky that the refurbished computers that you have purchased came with a 1 year warranty. Over here, the refurbished or 2nd hand ones only came with a month or 3 to 6 months warranty. So far, I've only seen 1 shop that offered a 1 yr. warranty. I would only buy a refurbished computer if it offered at least 3 mos. warranty to ensure that the parts are not the "almost dead" ones, since some sellers sell PC parts that they know would conk out already with a week or 2 of usage.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have never actually gone through with a purchase but it seems like every time I look around and think about getting something new it is becoming more and more of a likely option. I would have to do a lot of research beforehand though.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I particularly don't think it's a good idea, but if it's the only solution at the moment, you have to be very careful about the origin of the company / person who is selling you this product.