Buying a Second-Hand Crib for Baby

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by vida_llevares • Nov 11, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

Is it okay to buy a second-hand baby crib? Are there risks involved? What are the disadvantages?

2. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I did buy a second hand crib 5 years ago. Since then I think I've seen at least 5 recall notices on different brands of cribs, most because of drop down sides. I did research mine before I bought it. At the time I felt fine about it, but I don't know if I'd do it again. I might if I knew the person who owned before me. Both my kids slept in it and did fine.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have no problem with it. Just make sure you check the recalls, like jleadbet mentioned. Otherwise, you may want to buy a new mattress. That's still cheaper than buying a brand new crib overall, though.

4. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    It's okay specially if you have limited budget and all. Just make sure that the crib is fine with no damages and whatsoever. Check carefully since your baby's gonna sleep in it. :)

5. chlv

chlvMember

Threads:
    I'm sure you could get a great deal on a crib if you bought it second-hand. I would definitely do some research on product recalls and thoroughly inspect the crib before you buy it. I would be a little wary about purchasing a second-hand mattress though. I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea. You just don't know where it's been, what kind of dirt has been on it or if its ever been exposed to beg bugs (which is something I do think about these days with the epidemic over the last few years). I think if you personally have a friend or relative that's willing to sell you theirs, that would be your best bet. We got our second-hand crib from a relative, so we felt comfortable using it. Cribs are just so expensive.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I brought one for my daughter when she was born and it did just fine i didn't have no problem with it but when i brought it, it was almost like new and i still use it today for my son and it is still going strong and still looks new. I guess it just depends sometimes you can get lucky and get a really good one.

7. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with buying a crib second hand however I would do some research before hand if there have been any recalls, your babies safety comes first. Another thing is I wouldn't suggest buying a crib second hand unless you have seen it put together. I have seen someone buy a second hand crib before that was not assembled and when they got home there were crucial pieces missing so they couldn't even use it.

8. dmathon

dmathonNew Member

Threads:
    It is okay if you do your research, due to high recalls on items you just want to be safe. One thing you cannot skimp out on is your babies safety. So if your going to have to spend an extra dollar do so, and skimp out on other things like endless toys, and all new clothes. Just research, and decide if it is what you want to do. Make sure its in superb condition so your little one won't get hurt. Kids have a niche for finding things we wouldn't, I'm a mom of 2 young ones and they always find something no matter how much you baby proof!