Buying Dvds Vs Renting Dvds

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by luri • Aug 17, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    You can save a great deal of money when you rent a DVD instead of buying a new DVD. However, apart from watching movie, I also like to collect movies. I have more than 200 DVS. I don't rent DVDs even though it is a cheaper option. Sometimes I burrow from a friend, however, I like to have my own DVD.

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Dvds and cds are fast disappearing, while flash drives and memory cards take over. Therefore, when it comes to the issue of buying or renting a dvd, I'd rather rent. I am not really into the habit or repeating a movie more than twice. This means that if I have to buy each and every movie I am interested in, then I will have a huge stock that will just be a junk.

However, for some interesting movies such as Ice Age and Boss Baby, I could find myself buying, just incase I might need it later. Besides keeping away junk, renting movies ensures that you watch interesting movies. This is because the one renting, could offer you some good advice on the best choices in the library. This goes a long way, in ensuring that your money is put to good use.

3. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you Luri we can save some money if we rent DVD instead of buying a new DVD, but there is a way in which you can save more money, you can download the movie from ODC or APEX, and watch the DVD for free without any cost.
    I am not proud of what I do but this helps me to save some money for my son!

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Any which way you look at it, renting dvd is more practical than buying dvd. This is not to encourage copying but a rented dvd can be copied on the computer so you can watch it again. But there’s sad news for dvd because it is going obsolete. Our new tv has no more slot for dvd, all it has is the USB socket. That is an indication that dvd is on the way out.

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    We are into the era where streaming content is most popular. And people are paying for it. So buying and renting DVD still sounds costly to me. I don't have enough shelf to keep the content as it is. I prefer to stream in that case. As there is enough content on such sites. It's reasonable to keep streaming subscription. You can watch any time you want in that case.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    DVD's that are on sale are also very cheap, you can get them for $3 to $4 only. I, on the other hand, just buy the pirated Blue-Ray discs, you can watch like 6 to 10 movies depending on it's length, and they only cost like $2, so that's better than renting them.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Before I used to buying DVDs of movies for they contain several movies. They may be relied upon depending on the product or brand. That's I am referring to the original DVDs which they're too costly as compared to pirated ones though they cost less but dsometimes they couldn't be read by the player.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy DVDs but I have stopped now. It becomes a bit difficult to store them properly and it takes up space which I would rather have for my books. So I just rent DVDs now whenever I wish to see something. It saves a lot of money too!

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that renting DVDs is really worth the hassle anymore, and Ic annot remember the last time I had to do this. I imagine this will fizzle out here pretty soon.

10. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    For me I don't really see a point in renting a DVD, I would just buy it. Just try to look for good deals on it or coupons, plus if you are every unsatisfied with it sometime in the future you could always sell it too someone. There will always be people who still watch DVDs, this way you can earn a bit of money back from your purchase.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Renting DVD does not seem to be quite common here, so we used to buy some DVDs when we really wanted to watch those movies but not showing in the cinema. I haven't been buying any DVDs for a long time, as we have removed the TV from our home and we seldom watch any movies now since we have young children. If there is a choice, I would prefer to rent DVD, so I don't need to reserve a space to keep those DVDs.

12. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    It is true that the age of DVDs is coming to a quick end but it is also true that history has to be preserved.It is important to have a stockpile of DVDs somewhere in your house because as much as flash drives are the in-thing as of now,a time will come where just like their predecessors,they will also fade away.That is how the world works and as long as the wheel keeps turning,the trend will keep changing.It is very important to keep a record of what we have now,which in this case is the DVDs because in a few years or so,you might have to prove to your grandkids that they really did exist.I go with buying DVDs as opposed with renting for the same reason,History.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Buying DVD's is only for people who wanted to see deleted scenes and alternate endings. Renting them online AKA streaming is the cheap and legal way to enjoy movies these days. If you are a collector who prefers high quality picture and sounds DVD is better but it is a dying cause.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Renting movies here is actually very common it is so common that every neighborhood has a movie renting place. I am more of a watching movies online type of person so renting DVDs wasn't really on my list of choices. Now that I do own a TV I thought it would be fun renting like I used to a few years ago and it was quite fun. I only did it twice just for fun but I find more convient online. Most DVDs I owned I sold when I was going to be without a TV..

15. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think you can sometimes find any movie(DVD) for a very cheap price on Amazon to buy,and for maybe less than a dollar sometimes-but of course the shipping is usually $3.99 and I am talking about a used copy as well. I think the DVD quality is better than the streaming quality of a movie as well,and also it would depend sometimes on your internet speed and service. I think if you really like a movie enough,you should buy it-but renting DVDs is not something I do a lot-but I prefer just to buy a used copy instead.

#15Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I rented, but I always preferred to buy because I'm addicted to movies and I like to collect them. I currently have a collection with over 300 DVD's (among movies, concerts and TV series).

17. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    DVDs? The only dvds I still have is probably Sound of Music and the Bible collection. I prefer to watch movies online or via downloads. I guess there will still be a market for dvds but for how long is this gonna last?

18. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy them rather than rent them. I want them to be mine because I like watching movies again and again. Although downloading is already available, I still want to buy them and collect them. People collect stuff and this is mine.

19. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I used to rent DVD's back during my college years when an entertainment giant here open up a DVD rental service close to where we live. It's really a great experienced during that time since the only way to watch a movie is either at the cinema or by buying your own DVD copy of the movie which is really so expensive. The rental fee is around 5-10% of the original price so I can say I really did save a lot during that time. But it had closed down as the time passed by and I admit I'm missing it.

20. bsiy8

bsiy8New Member

Threads:
    Well, i used to buy but now i have started renting.