Buying In Open Air Markets

Discussion in Personal Finance started by remnant • Jul 28, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy most household items in open air markets where they are
    sold by small scale traders who source them cheaply. You are also
    likely to land deals involving secondhand clothes and even electronics
    and reconditioned items. Shops are not easy no the pocket unless they
    have a sale. They also have overheads to factor in and some are
    tailored to certain caliber of clients, what do you say?

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Not all items sold in open air markets are cheaper than those sold at legitimate shops so I'd suggest checking regular store prices first before buying stuff at open air markets. I rarely buy items in open air markets save for vegetables and fruits. I think most products would be cheaper to buy in an open air market where there are many vendors as they tend to compete and offer their goods at much lower prices. What I really don't like about shopping in this type of place is the vendor's style of quoting outrageous prices because they actually expect the buyers to haggle.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Sunday market here is like an open air market where household items are available and cheaper. It is okay to buy drapes and kitchen utensils but not electronic items because their warranty is suspicious. We noticed that the booths keep on changing in vendors so you cannot rely on replacement or repairs.

4. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I love open air markets. This is because of wide variety of products that one can choose from, and most if not all, prices are open to negotiations hence huge discounts depending on your negotiating power. I think things are cheaper due to the low operating costs. Most don't require electricity or buildings to create additional costs.

Organic products sold in open air markets are at most times fresh which is very encouraging as they are healthy.

However there are certain problems that need to be checked out. First of all we all know that cheap is expensive. Most items bought from open air markets, especially small electronics are not all that durable. This means that one can buy a single items multiple time, making more expensive than buying a durable one from a genuine shop.

Another problem with open air markets is that it is always affected by the conditions of the weather. This means that if you really wanted something on a rainy day, most likely you will be sentenced to wait a while longer.

Most open air markets are always crowded. This means that it would be very difficult to navigate with your own vehicle. This besides being tedious, also limits the number of items you can buy. How will you carry them?

All in all, I love them and I am in very much support of them as they create employment to lots of people.

5. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I mostly buy from open air vendors too. They usually sell cheap items and at the same time, the items are of high quality. However, I always inspect the item keenly to ensure that it is not faulty. Most of the time you will not lack con artists among the vendors. They will sell you a good only to end up that is faulty or fake when you reach home.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I patronize open market a lot especially if I have one near my location unarguably items are cheaper and there appears to be direct competition at such markets. The stuffs I always buy at open market are food items especially fresh produce like vegetables and fruits. One thing I observe food stuffs come in larger quantities for good affordable prices at these markets.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Observing the conditions of price of the place, I like to buy in air markets. Mainly because payment conditions are often well facilitated and diversified. I think this is an important factor.

8. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Online shopping and open air market shopping doesn't actually differ that much especially in terms of discounts. The only difference is that you can see the actual items plus you can ask for additional discounts on open markets unlike in online stores. Online store prices are fixed and sometimes the items delivered to you are either defective or different from the ones you ordered. And shopping in open air markets are always beneficial and healthy because you get to have a walk and a smell of fresh air.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I too buy in open air market but only less often. My mom doesn't like me buying from there as she thinks the quality of the products is not good. Well, I would say we can't expect high-quality products but it will be in a buying condition and serves the purpose for some period of time.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy from open air market since i find that that quality is far less than the the regular markets, but over the years i have come across various products at great prices that i wouldn't have been able to get in other places.