Buying Oversized Clothing

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by gracer • Jul 7, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Kids grow up fast and they also outgrow their stuff very fast especially when they are at their growth spurt stage. I noticed how fast my little boy outgrows his clothes and shoes very fast. In a year's span, most of his clothes start to become small for his size.

Now I make it a point that whenever I buy him clothing and shoes, there's always an allowance of around 2 to 3 sizes bigger than his actual size. At least he can use and enjoy them longer than the usual and it's also a good way of saving from frequent buying of clothes and shoes.

Do you also buy oversized clothes for your children or do you buy exactly as their current size?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to do this with tops for my boys. I find they can wear an oversized tshirt or hoody and not look too bad. I can buy pants that are a bit oversized and just roll down the waistband to hike them up. Then in half a year they fit perfectly. I find by buying clothes a size bigger they can last at least an extra year, unless they go through a crazy growth spurt. I don't like to buy shoes too big I find they can't run properly or they get blisters. definitely a good way to think when buying kids clothes.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a kid, but I think that's a great idea so that you could get to save more money. It would be awkward to buy oversized tops and dresses for girls though, so I think buying 2nd hand ones in thrift stores is a better option if you have a baby girl.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Good suggestion! :) I also do that sometimes. It really saves a lot to buy clothes in thrift stores especially if a child is in his/her growth spurt years. One day they fit their clothes well, then the next thing you know they won't fit anymore. I have saved a lot in buying clothes such as jackets and pants from thrift stores.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could also ask your friends or relatives who have a baby girl if they wouldn't be needing their old baby clothes anymore, and if they won't, ask if you could have them, lol. Gutsy, but it will pay off if they say yes.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I was still pregnant with my baby. I didn't ask my colleague but she was the one who volunteered to give me her child's baby clothes because she couldn't think of anyone else whom she could give them to. I was very thankful of course because it was an additional savings for me. Now that my child also has outgrown clothes, I also give them out to friends and relatives who have smaller children. At least the art of giving and saving just goes back and forth like a cycle. :)

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know someone who bought clothes for her kid before she was born. And most of the clothes were too large. However she realizes that her mistake did actually save her money because though many of the clothes are too big for the kid, in a year, she won't be buying any clothes.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer, That's so true, if you don't intend to get pregnant anymore, then giving them to other people would be the best thing to do. I also think that buying sleveless and dresses for your baby girl isn't really necessary if you can use the old baby clothes of a male baby, even if they're all shirts, since they're androgynous.

9. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do this when I was a kid. My mom always bought shirts and shoes that are always right for my size, but the problem is, just a few months and I can't wear them anymore. So I started picking my own stuff. I wanted big clothes and quite bigger shoes. It did save my mom some money.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my toddler oversized sleeping clothing so she is able to use them for at least a couple more months than usual. I feel like she feels more comfortable that way anyway. Now I find that they last twice as much. For clothing she uses to go out I buy her one size up so she won't have them too loose.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I can remember so many times when I just had enough with having to buy kids clothes all the time. If you are smart you can really avoid most of it, but usually not all.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    A size larger can be bought when the children are in the fast growing stages. Occasionally, for casual wear it may be okay to buy the right sized clothes.

Those that are more expensive and to be worn occasionally can either be bought a size bigger or hired to save the cost.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    When we were little, my mom usually buys us clothes with our current sizes since we don't grow that fast, and we were all slim back then. Now, my hubby and I take care of my brother and we normally buy him clothes his current size because he doesn't grow that fast either so he'll be able to wear it for a long period of time :)

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    My wife is the one shopping for the clothes of our children. I do appreciate her common sense especially in buying our children's needs like shirts, trousers. I don't know if she's offended when I crack a joke of the sizes of the clothings she bought from the market or usually during our market day.

I told her that our children are regular in builts. Some of them are skinny. Some are tall. But my wife is resourceful to buy an extra or oversized clothings for our children. After severak months, those clothings are just enough for our growing children.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying bigger size is a good idea for children. When I buy for baby shower party or get clothes for Christmas, I always try to buy bigger for the child can grow into it I figure. Another place to save lots of money is Walmart children's section. They have rollback, discount areas, little shoes or sandals too and everything except diapers that I don't see on some kind of special price all the time I go to Walmart. Saving money is terrific and when you find what you need at the right price at Walmart it's perfect!

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    As an adult the idea of buying over sized clothes for myself is no longer applicable in fact I may even go for clothes that hug a bit so long they give good fitting and shape on me. If I am getting clothes for growing children then I may look at getting over sized clothes in some cases. This will help to ensure the child wears the clothes for a pretty long time before final dump.