Buying Used Electronic Items

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Vinaya • Jul 9, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite phone was not new when I bought it. Used electronic items have the advantage of the fact that they have withstood the test of time. But one has to be careful due to the fact that some of them can be faulty and the seller can conceal this fact from the buyer. To this end, one should engage an electronics repairer to diagnose any faults.

2. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, and in most cases, we have to get some wide knowledge regarding electronics and the most common phone's fails in order to spot them in case anything happens, it would be a great idea to watch some videos or attend to an electronics course to learn a bit more about the electronic devices and such things, I am pretty sure nobody will try to screw you ever again.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Buying a used electronic item is a hit-or-miss proposition. I've bought used/surplus desktop in the past and it only lasted for a little more than six months. I was very disappointed with it. I've also bought a used TV which lasted only for a few months. They're not worth my money. I'd rather save up for a brand new item with full 12 or 24 months warranty and brand new parts.

4. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you are buying, buying a used phone is a bad idea in my opinion, however buying something like a charger or a cable can get you an amazing deal without compromising quality. I still like going down to the local electronics store to buy new electronics since they are guaranteed to be of decent quality. Most of the time you get a long lasting warranty too which is always nice.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work in the IT department and my experience tells me not to buy a used electronic item unless it is only for emergency use. When my monitor got busted, I was in a rush to do some work at home so I hied to the electronics shop and bought a second hand monitor. But I only bought a used monitor because during that time, my computer was already due for replacement. And I did, after a few months, I bought a new computer set. But without the plan of replacing the computer, I am inclined to buy a new monitor.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely purchase used items and especially electronics such as home appliances and computers. I don't like not knowing what the previous owner did to it. I would feel better purchasing from someone I know because I know where they live and they know I'll complain if it's too defective. I always purchase new, though because most of the time, they're in perfect condition and they have a warranty.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I have never bought a used electric item for its obvious problems that would start showing pretty quickly.

Yes, they are cheaper but in the long run, not worth the cost.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone is cost-saving conscious. He wants to buy something at a low cost for he wants to save money. The more he buys low-cost items, the more he is likely to be at a loss. And this is related to buying used gadgets run by electricity or the electronic supplies, materials, among others. You are right those electronic gadgets are reducing their lifespan of serviceability the more or the longer they are used. Cost-saving conscious sometimes is not a good practice.

9. Jennifer Thornton

Jennifer ThorntonNew Member

Threads:
    Buying used electronic items from friends or acquaintances is always a good option as you get the chance of using the product before actually buying it.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You are correct, used electronics saves cost but sometimes if you are not lucky it won't last for you. I happen to have a friend who deals on used imported electronics. Most of if not all his products do last well for his customers.

The thing I know about used electronics is there are good grades and bad lower grade ones. The good grades ones tend to be a little expensive compared to the lower grade one. I advice people to buy higher grade ones when it comes to used electronics.

Also how one uses his/her electronic gadgets at home determines how long it will last. If it's used roughly it definitely won't last long compared to when it's used well and cautiously.

11. Jennifer Thornton

Threads:
    Hi Vinaya,
    I agree with your point, Whenever we are going to buy used electronic gadgets the condition of the product depend on its usage.

12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    And I forgot to mention that in as much as how one uses the second hand electronic gadgets determines how long it will last, also it's important to note that limiting kids access and operating such electronic equipment goes a long way to ensuring it last longer.

This is because kids don't seem to know the price value and worth of such gadgets and not to talk more of how difficult making money to buy such equipment is today in our modern society. They tend to misuse and rough handle such electronics, and these brings about abrupt damage of one's property.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In general, I don't like to buy anything used (even though this will save me some good money). I always prefer to save a little money and buy everything new.

14. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I have only bought used books and nothing else.But I know from others that buying electronics goods second hand is not a really good idea. Buying them used definitely saves some money, but then you end up paying more for its maintenance and repairs later on. So instead of saving money, you end up paying more for it or about the same amount of money that you would shell out for a new product. So it is better to buy new electronics products as you also get a warantee for it which you can even extend further by paying a bit more.

15. Jennifer Thornton

Threads:
    Buying a new electronics product is a good thing but its all depend on our pocket. If our pocket is not enough for this than we should go for second hand product.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought one used laptop through a reputed online site (gumtree) from a local seller after inspection for a particular purpose. I wanted to experiment something and did not want to use my personal laptop for that purpose so bought a Lenovo think tank at $80 which had no operating system and a working battery. However I installed Unix OS and since the energy supply is uninterpreted here so I did not change the battery. I kept that laptop for 5 months and later sold it for almost equal amount.

17. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, you may find genuine used electronics in a good state.You can use them for a long period of time without showing any problem. In some other cases, however, some can be defective that's why may be the owner decided to resell it to throw away prices. If I have the money, I would prefer to purchase a new genuine machine from the shop. In the event that it develops a problem, I can go and claim warranty.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit This is the same feeling I have towards buying used electronics. The first thing that I normally ask myself whenever there is need for me to get a new gadget, does buying a used product worth it? And also, what price difference is between the used product and new one?

And having answered myself all these questions, I would always come to the conclusion that it's better to get a little more money and add up with the one that I have already, and save myself the troubles and anxiety of buying already used products.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    You're very right.

In the end, it's all about priorities. If you don't know how to prioritize things properly, you'll end up spending more money than you really need (which is obviously not a good thing).