Cable Free And Loving It!

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by ziska • Jun 30, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    It;s really easy to get live sports online, just do live sports game searches and I;m sure ya'll will find the,.

I can't do cable anymore, I stopped watching cable over 5 years ago, there are things like starz, and hbo, but everything that I watch online is better. I love youtube, it's my TV when ever I want it. I also watch my movies online anyway so going completely digital is super convenient. Plus I get it where ever I'am when I'm traveling.

2. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    See, I couldn't agree more with this. About a year ago, we were paying about $70 a month for cable added on to our internet plan. We finally got rid of it, kept the internet, and subscribed to netflix for the $7.99 a month... Six months later, decided netflix doesnt have nearly the options and they never update the movies, so we ditched netflix for prime. I dont think ill ever switch again.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my service years ago and not only is it great for the wallet, I feel like less of a robot, feeding the rich and needing all the things. Oh and celebrity.. I see that whole mess for what it is now too. Take a break from TV for a long time, you'll look at life differently and feel a whole lot freer.

4. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016New Member

Threads:
    I too do not have cable. It has been about 5 years since I have had an active cable subscription at my house. I missed it at first but now I don't think I will ever go back to paying for it. When I go to friends or my parents I find myself bored with what is on cable TV these days, it seems like TV stations play the same shows on repeat. I only pay 69.99 a month for internet and 10 dollars for Netflix. Compared to when I had cable I am definitely more active now doing productive things as opposed to watching TV all day when I get home from work. The only negative to not having cable is not being able to watch football every fall/winter. Whenever the Redskins play I have to go to a bar or a friends house which is not a bad thing but sometimes is a hassle especially if I am feeling lazy.

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, however I have never had cable in my life, I have always had rabbit ears and streaming (netflix or hulu, depending if there is a free trial option or discount). However I have a gym membership (it was a gift), and they have cable so I go to the gym if I want to watch a certain show if i must see it plus it kind of nice for me to be able to watch the news while I work out!

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, we in Hawaii living on Oahu pay 72.55 a month for basic cable...nothing fancy mind you...we watch no sports at all, but we have our favs like Casle for me and Little House on the Prairie for Mom. I too will checkout Roku if it's not complicating and very good during our storms I'd like it. I must say though cable is okay when storms comes and go. Even those remnants of storms can get big and powerful. Of course praying helps a lot too!:D Thanks for the info and by the way our cable has no Senior discount either...I tried for it.:rolleyes:

7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Roku box and an antenna, but I also have ATT for internet and cable. ATT is now almost double what I signed up for and the channels I can get of my antenna look better (higher resolution, even though ATT is HD. If I did not have to worry about the other people in my house I would eliminate the cable. I hope to improve my antenna system sometime soon. I used to have Comcast, but their service is terrible

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Does the Roku box etc allow for local channels? Some people like them. Of course, you can always get local news on the net, but some people specifically like the shows and TV personalities on local channels. Actually, I don't blame them.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 The Roku (at least the streaming stick I have) doesn't have anything to do with local channels, but there are alternatives for that, such as Sling TV. I am considering getting sling at some point in the future. For now, I have the local channels through AT&T, although I really don't use them much. If I try to watch something online on one of the local channels, it sometimes asks me to log in though, so I'm not sure I could watch those channels online if I didn't still have the very basic cable television plan. You might be able to do that via Hulu, I'm not sure, but as I said, Sling does include local channels.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really like TV that much. Therefore, it's not much of a concern to me. I spend most of my time on the internet. However, it is nice to have cable TV or some equivelent when I happen to want to watch it.

Generally speaking, I like to watch the news or some classic movie. That seems to the only things I might watch usually.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    If I were to live alone I would probably not need a tv at all. I jardly have time and I don't find it necessary at all. However, the rest of inhabitants find life without cable worthless and so I am paying for it.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I no longer own a TV since the one I owned didn't work and I can't afford another one. I live happy watching Youtube or other sites with internet. I find a lot of entertaining cartoons for my daughter and that is good enough for me. I wouldn't have too much tine to watch TV anyway but maybe soon I will be able to for my daughter to have more cartoon options.

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Like you say @kamai@kamai, a lot is going to depend on what sort of TV programs you watch in the first place. I got rid of my cable and satellite TV subscriptions a while ago no as I only ever really used to watch the sport and so it was a waste of money paying for all the others.

If you only really have a TV to watch cartoons on with your daughter then I also wouldn't bother paying for a TV license or paying for a cable subscription either, as like you say, programmes like that can be easily found online anyway.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We have the cheapest cable subscriptions over here, and the cheapest one costs only $10, and there is a $1 fee for additional connection to a 2nd tv. But I noticed that I don't also watch tv that much and I only watch a few channels, so I also would forfeit cable tv if I live alone.

15. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I have been cable free for over 2 years now. I have antenna Tv and I get 28 channels which are more than enough for my needs. When I had cable Comcast told me it would be $69 a month and then they tacked on all their fees and it went to $89 and 6 months later it went to $129. After that I told them I don't want cable anymore and now I pay $19.99 a month for internet. :)

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch much TV, and I have a bundle that includes TV, net, hotspot, mobile and landline, and at the end of the day I am happy with the service. I am not paying that much, and even if the TV it's still cable, I am happy with the convenience it brings me.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We have been subscribed to a local cable TV which airs FoxMovies, NatGeo, AXN, among other foreign channels, and all our local TV channels. It is not free for we have to pay a fixed monthly bill of $1 or equivalent to our local currency of Php50. Some of those channels are showing very good movies, top rated movies which we are unable to see in the Cinema or theater.