Can Exercising Help To Gain Weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by mildredtabitha • Sep 10, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    In 2015, I learned that it is possible to gain weight while exercising because fat is broke down while the muscles gain mass. I tried the trick but got thinner instead. I wanted to gain weight without having to postpone my daily activities. I am wondering if it still works and if any of you has ever tried it.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Normally thin guys, and I am one, will gain weight when working out. However, though, the added stuff is muscle, not fat. Also, there is a related theory which says a lot of very fat people are overweight, not because of the food, but because they simply won't work out at all, much like a sumo wrestler.

3. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes of course exercise can definitely help one gain weight, in the process of exercise only fats are burned out which are the unwanted and unhealthy variable making up human anatomy. It's basically refereed to as cholesterol and this is very harmful to ones health.

Now, that fat is being burned out doesn't mean that the body is left empty from where it moved out from. No not really, it's being replaced by muscles and believe me, muscles even tend to weigh more than those useless fats in the body.

If you are really exercise well, depending on your focus point of working out take for instance, if it's arm, chest, bum, thigh, calf or even abdomen, you would definitely notice the change in any of these places as you increase your exercise. If fat is burned out and replace by muscle, you would see the actual difference by simply just touching or feeling the body part. It would be stronger and tougher compared to when it was fat domain.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Muscle does not really weigh more than fat-its kind of a myth since a pound of fat or muscle weighs the same- or anything for that matter is the same. The fat does take up 4 times more space though than muscle. So yes exercising can build up the muscle a lot,and muscle takes up less space in your body -thats why your weight could go up as you work your muscles out.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was skinny when I was a teenager and only gained weight when I reached 30. One advice is to do a workout to build muscles. I bought a 20-pound dumbbell that I thought would give me the muscles. It did but not much because what I really needed for muscles is a heavier barbell. With my weight, it increased a bit because of the muscles that built up but not substantial. I’d say that food intake is more effective in gaining weight.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes exercising is one of the best way of gaining and losing weight as per your need. In fact exercising works both ways. If you're underweight doing specific exercises which help build muscles therefore you gain weight at a brisk pace. These exercises are different from what you do for losing weight as your emphasis is on building muscles here.

7. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    I now prefer food intake. Taking a balanced diet and trying not to skip meals. Also taking snacks once in a while is something I am trying not to forget. Hopefully to gain some weight. :D

I agree with you but I think for this type of exercise, I will need a gym instructor. I have always been doing it wrong and that is why I kept on losing instead of gaining.

8. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    The weight you gain from exercise is usually muscle mass. Other things that can cause a weight gain are liquids and water retention. But when we exercise we tend to build muscle. While fat burns, that muscle will start to develop more. It is completely normal. In the end, I think it's best not to consider the number on the scale. Do try more strength exercises and consume more protein.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    While surfing random things on the internet I came across this article and it says pretty much that the programme is legit. So I am sharing this with you and if you like it give it a try. Eat a lot of healthy foods and exercise properly to gain weight. Good luck my friend. :)

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well of course it can, and if you are looking to gain the good weight then you should get used to it. Of course it is less of the cardio and more of the weights, but certainly both can do the trick if done right.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I tend to jog, I end up being more hungry than usual afterwards. So I think what you're saying is right. I just tend to drink a lot of water when that happens so that my appetite will be suppresed and I won't eat more than usual.

12. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I think anaerobic workouts can help build up muscles and help you add on weight. However, this one goes hand in hand with proper nutrition. Your choice of diet also determines whether you will gain weight or you will lose it.

13. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Ooooh, this is an interesting question, because I can tell you this: On the nights I exercise, even light exercise, I either stay the same weight or sometimes even gain a pound. But on the nights I just skip it and watch TV or do something else besides exercise, I LOSE a pound. Go figure? That doesn't make any sense. But if you think about it, maybe exercise makes you a little hungrier than usual, so you eat more, even more than the exercise burns off. Also, if you do strenuous exercise, it can trigger a cortisol-release, which is directly related to weight gain, esp. around the abdomen. And like you said, muscle gain may/could look like weight gain on the scale.

14. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing the link. I am now focusing on eating healthy before I get involved in any exercise. :)

You are right. Exercises need someone to have 5 meals a day. And I never did that. Maybe because I mistook the hungry feeling to being tired. But now I know better and I will make sure to focus on how I am feeling after exercising.
    I guess one of them is swimming. Thanks for suggesting anaerobic exercises.