Can I Still Recover Contents Of A Corrupted Sd Card?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Feb 7, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used this software called "USB Security" to password protect my files, but it ended up being permanently hidden because the cord was moved during the time where the flash drive and the SD cards were inserted in the PC, and just like that my password did not work. My files were hidden and even if they are supposed to be intact because they're just technically hidden and not corrupted, I was not able to recover some of the the large video files that I have, considering that they were not overwritten at all. I guess videos are indeed almost impossible to recover. Never again will I use a software to password protect my files.

I also think that maybe your SD card got damaged at some point to the point that it could not read your card anymore, since I know they are resistant to scratches.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people purchase external hard drives and or sd cards so that their files will be safe, and more often than not the sd card or the external hard drive ends up crashing or corrupting and you have lost everything. My best advice would be to have more than one sd card, and to have more than one external hard drive. If they can make hard drives that are inside of computers stable, then why can't they make the external ones stable?

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In fairness to my SD cards and flash drives, they are still usable and working well after several years of use, maybe it just depends if you bought a card that is just "unlucky" and will break down after quite some time.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, some of them are great. I think it is a combination of the brand, how they are treated in your possession, and luck. Though my mother's boyfriend is a dj and stores a lot of music for that purpose, so the went expensive with the one he bought, and it crashed. He lost all of his music just like that. So I don't know if brand really matters. They are unstable. I have had my external flash drive reformat itself, and I lose everything.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, That's why I believe it's down to luck, because they are just stored there, and if ever the gold part of the SD card will get scratched, then the scratch would be minimal and not harmful to the performance. My oldest memory card and flash drive are from 2007 and 2009, and I didn't have a problem with them until now.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The "newer" SD cards and flash drives I believe are meant to have a short life span. That's why after two or three years of use the SD card or flash drives they'll "die" or get corrupt. I've had a few new SD cards "die" abruptly while an old 256MB SD card I've had since 2005 still works just fine.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If that's the case then it's clearly made to last for a short time for profit. That sucks, because if the data is important, then you would have lost it forever as well if you didn't save it somewhere else. So far, my 2013 bought SD cards are still functioning well.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this too. SD cards are increasingly being made to last for only a short time. Data is really important and low quality SD cards are simply not acceptable, but I think the best thing to do is to backup data as often as possible.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well based on SanDisk's website, the warranties for their products range from 1, 2, 5, 10 years, and some are advertised to last for a lifetime:

so I guess we might as well buy the ones that will last a lifetime to ensure that our data will be safe. If it breaks down before the warranty I doubt you can have it replaced unless you live in the US where SanDisk stores are located, since stores only replace defective items after 7 days.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    If this is the case, then it is nothing new. When you'd buy any type of machine back in the day - whether it be a vacuum or a washing machine, or a dishwasher - they would last years. Ten years or over. These days you are not so lucky. Actually, it has nothing to do with luck. It is all about profit.

11. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I saw some complaints on a site that computer sales have dropped because computers are [more] durable. I'm certain the next generation of computers will address that "problem of durability" so they can get more sales.

Question is since all the companies want to make quick profits and some don't want to lower their prices would it be better to buy cheaper products but you'll at least know that you'll have to replace them after a few years?

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really? Do you really think that computers are more durable these days? I don't know. I feel like most machinery, or technology, across the board lacks the durability that it used to have back in the day, computers included due to the fact that they cost so much money. But I could be wrong. I think it depends upon your budget as far as what choice you make.

13. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I don't know exactly when they stopped making computers that someone could use "forever" [like one of my old computers which has been in action since 2001 or thereabouts]. It still works fine but can't get much done on it.

A friend of mine bought a new computer early 2015 but by the end of the year the hard drive was acting up and he had to make do with an external HDD.

I believe that they stopped making durable computers around 2013.

14. Yallerts

YallertsNew Member

Threads:
    So , that's why i often backuped phone data , buy for SD data recovery , as long as the SD card data is lost, you can recover the data in a short time

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would really not be too surprised if they could basically recover anything from a damaged anything, but I gues it does depend on how much damage. I am curious now though to hear the answer.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think some of the recovery software can allow you to get the content off the SD Card. And it can be really a good option for you to use them. I have seen some Android recovery software. And you may want to try some of them. It helps if you use them before the data is overwritten. So that's another thing to watch out for in such case. That's the thing to consider as well.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is not the bigger files that made your SD card corrupted. Once the card couldn't accommodate more files, it just prompt you or tell you that there is no enough memory to get hold of the files. Then it will ask to discontinue it. Unless it is being reformatted, the files are overwritten but a format. But when they are accidentally deleted, the files are still there and they can be recovered. However, in your case, it couldn't be read. There is still hope for there are still apps or softwares that could read that corrupted SD. Look for resources but if you think it has no remedy anymore well, suffer all those files lost and get a new one.

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    You must get the card recognized 1st before the files can even be recovered in the 1st place. Try using an eraser to clean the gold part of the SD card, for all you know, it just might be dirty.