Can you change your tire?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 29, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    More and more people today are paying a whole lot of money and wasting valuable time because they don't know how to do simple tasks related to driving. While cellular phones and roadside assistance packages are popular, there are some places where you need to have a few skills yourself.

You should know how to do the following before you should be permitted to drive:

1. Find the tire jack and change the tire on every car you drive.
    2. Check the oil
    3. Check the level of radiator fluid
    4. Connect the jumper cables correctly in the event of a dead battery.

I am sure there are more things, but if you don't know how to do this to your car - learn!

Can you do these tasks? Are there others that should be added to my list?

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I can only check the fluid levels in my car. I don't know how to change a tire, and I can't remember how the cables connect to the battery if it dies. Eh, maybe I should learn, but I don't really think there is a circumstance where I will get into where I have to have these skills, as you state. I don't go driving into the deserted wilderness alone without a cellphone. Maybe that sounds obnoxious, but it's the truth.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I've done all of those quite a few times, unfortunately lol, because I had my share of old cars and to be honest I changed way too many tires and asked for strangers to stop to connect the jumper cables to their batteries, rather embarrassing, but only proves that still there are good people around!

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't know how to check the radiator fluid, although there are a few more things not on that list that I can do such as changing the air filter and fuel filter. Changing the air filter is very easy as it's usually just a case up unlocking the case and changing it. Taking less than 15 seconds.

5. David Scott

David ScottNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with LostValleyGuy, knowing how to change a tire is a part of your responsibility of owning a car. It doesn't matter what you try and do to ensure a flat tire doesn't adversely affect you, chances are you will get a flat at the most inconvenient time. I know I would rather my wife try to change a tire herself rather than flag down a stranger if she got a flat. There are too many wierdo's out there for my liking. To make sure my partner is able to change a tire I got her to practice in the driveway until she was comfortable with the process. I also showed her how to keep the tires inflated to the correct level and to also check fluids i.e. windscreen washer fluid and radiator fluid.

Just these simple checks make for a driver who is more aware of vehicle maintenance and is a more confident car owner. A maintained vehicle is a safer vehicle which is something that benefits all road users.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Of course if you are going to own a car then you should be able to do such simple tasks. You should be able to change your own tire unless you are a lady a guy might stop to help you. Either way as a lady also you just need to know how to change the tire not every guy will be nice to you.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can do most of those things, however, I don't know that I would trust a tire that I changed. Usually those lug nuts don't come off very easily either. I don't have a spare tire either at this point so I would just pull into the nearest station if my tire went flat, or wait for roadside assistance. Theoretically if I had a spare tire, I could change it though. I have seen it done enough times!

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the most basic would be to recognize what each gauge represents, and how to read them...especially the gas gauge. I can't tell you how many parents I know who have to run off and rescue their new to driving teenagers who have run out of gas. Another is to know how to pump gas, and which product to use. That also goes for oil and coolant.

I can't physically change a tire these days, but I've been very fortunate to have received help whenever I've needed it. If I had children, they would definitely have AAA or another road service, because times have changed a lot, and it's not always safe to be stranded, even on a well lit and well traveled road. In addition, I'd also try to teach teens or other new drivers where to pull over, because not every spot affords the best protection, nor is the safest spot to be changing a tire on.

9. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I admit that I am very lazy and I do depend on AAA service for my tires. I guess I am the typically woman who don't much about cars. Now my husband made my girls learn about the basic changing tires, oil etc. I do check my oil from time to time, but I mainly just go in every 3 months to get it changed.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger it was required to know how to change your tire before you could get behind the wheel of the car. Today I can check my fluid levels but I do not change tires. I still believe it is a good thing to know to keep from being stranded or having to take someone's word that they are not ripping you off.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, we should all be able to do the basic stuff without any assistance. But in spite of being a fully grown woman, I've never owned a car, so I don't drive. But we plan to get a car by the end of the year. I just don't don't know how we'll cope because my husband is in the same position as me. The only saving grace is that he loves to poke around and he's really good with his hands, I guess :)

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a car jack and a tire wrench but I am willing to pay for someone to do the changing of tires for me. It is too tiresome to do that, what more if I'm fully dressed up for work. It's a good thing that I haven't suffered a flat tire for that is worrisome to me. I bought a can of spray that would temporarily solve the flat tire until I reach a vulcanizing shop. I hope that can of spray is true to its word. I haven't tried it yet.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are so right to know a few skills when you're driving especially on the mainland. Here on Oahu, I will admit I never knew how to change tires and carried all the equipment, except battery cables. Luckily service stations are near by and my friends knew how to change tires. I drove when there was full service at the service station, so never needed to worry about fluids for my car or water for the radiator. I sold my car right before full service at service stations became history. I relinquished my license just a few years ago and bus only. Now that full service is gone from service stations, you got to do it on your own, so you got to carry around the equipment you mentioned and always check your fluids for your car today.

14. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Lushlala,

I am just curious, do you not drive because you don't have a car but know how to? I am asking because I have a couple of friends who don't drive. One tried to learn, but she just wasn't persistent in learning. She is in her fifties and still do not drive. Another friend of mine just let her license expired and never renewed it. I imagine it's hard to get around if one does not because depending on others seem to be hard.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Deeishere....that's a fair question LOL I basically got my license and then left to go and live in Italy, then England where the public transport is so good, I really never had a need for a car. I guess I would've been tempted to buy one, because I've always loved cars, were it not that I felt the costs involved in running a car are too high and I just couldn't afford it.

So in all the 13 years I was out there, I never drove. Now I'm back in my country of birth, where the public transport's shocking and I seriously need to get a car. I have my old license, but will have to take some lessons before I get behind the wheel :(