Can You Live With Minor Damage To Your Vehicle?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Apr 4, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it happens by accident and sometimes maliciously when we happen upon minor damage to our vehicles. Often times when driving I'll see a busted tail light or broken side view mirror and wonder why they haven't gotten it repaired.

I personally can only live with a very, very small amount of damage to my vehicle but something like these I couldn't live with it for too long.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I bought my car from a legally blind little old lady and it was dinged and dented to hell, but because she was blind it had no mileage on it. It's a 97 Buick and looks trashed, but rides beautifully. I drove it from New Mexico to Nevada three times and it still has less than 80k miles. When I bought it I needed a car quick and figured I would just get a new one. Now it's five years later and it still runs great. I love it so much that I've decided to keep it until it stops.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am living with mirror damage at the moment after a lady behind me bumped into my car. It was only a few scratches, and I let the lady got away with it. She was in distraught so I was tried to work it out between us. Turn out her words was just words. I should have gone with my instinct and called the police.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It has to eat at you as you have a constant reminder now. Are you going to file a claim to get the repairs done?

I remember when someone hit the rear side they left the scene but I called the police anyway. We were able to get repairs done.

Vehicles are extensions of ourselves and it hurts for me to see even minor damage to my vehicle.

5. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    It is not worth it, and it has been about three months now anyway. My deductible is a thousand dollars, and I can't afford it right now. I might take Mr. Clean eraser pad to try lighten up the scratches.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I can live with minor COSMETIC damage to a vehicle. For example, a few dents or scratches aren't a huge deal to me (although I do prefer to try to minimize them myself).

You won't see me going without a tail light or mirror, though. Those start veering into functionality issues.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, I'll obviously get really angry if someone else damages my vehicle, unless it was minor damage and a blatant accident. I don't mind driving with damage on my vehicle as long as it's only cosmetic. I'll obviously fix broken tail lights and things like that. I'm a pretty laid back person for the most part. I don't need a vehicle in perfect condition.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I could do. My car is over 11 years old and has barely any cosmetic damage at all, and it looks a lot younger for it. I wouldn't lose sleep over the odd supermarket bump though.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cars are going to get small dings and scrathes on them if they are used daily. I really do not care much about a few dings or scrathes on the car. I do like for the doors and windows and lights to work on the vehicle. I am more concerned with road safety than looks.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it all depends on whether you can pay for the damage to be repaired or not. In many countries you will get fined if the damage to your vehicle puts other drivers at risk. Also, you will literally be a "police magnet" and will get checked out thoroughly.
    Here where I live, things are a little more lenient, but then it's a third world country.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I can, specially if I don't have the money to fix it! As long as it's a minor damage, does not compromise the safety of the vehicle and others around it, why not wait a bit to get it fix when you have some extra money to spare.