Cars Or Public Transport?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by reubhole1 • Feb 24, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my own car since 1972, and enjoyed it. But when I got older I found public transportation, which took some getting accustomed to, and saved money by riding public transportation only now. I missed my car when I started needing it for my Mom, who was 91. Luckily my cousin helped us and carted her all over the place she needed to go. I miss my car, but when I found that the bus locally will transport you to evacuate for free I relinquished my license. I hope it's not a mistake relinquishing my license and ride the bus only. I'm waiting for the rail to be built now which I read that will be connected to our bus pass too!

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I learned to drive late in life to transport my mum about because she was paying so much in taxi fares. She died in 2015 and I find I hardly ever use my car now so could easily rely on public transport. I'm tempted to give up my licence because I know it would save me money but it's useful when I want to go on holiday or day trips. We have a good bus and rail service where I live so I could do it plus I would do more walking which would be good for me!

#42Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  3. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I am one of those people who doesn't have a car and so heavily depends on a public transport for my daily work and stuff. And even if I have a car of my own, I will still use the public transport especially now considering the stress you will be having trying to work your way on that heavy traffic nowadays.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think the choice depends a lot from country to country (considering that each one has a different kind of reality).

The cars offers more comfort and more practicality, but it's the public transport that end up being the best option (financially speaking) of the vast majority of the population.

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say I like to use most everything when it comes to getting around, including a nice car-but other times I was glad to find other ways to get around and have a break from car payments and maintenance once in awhile. So when you do the bike thing, or you walk or take public transport, it can give you a nice break from driving your car-I think being able to change-up the way you get around or having the freedom to get around, really makes you feel not so trapped sometimes. Also you could consider riding with a family member or friend sometimes-but just don't impose to much on them.

6. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I am yet to own a car. I use a public transport and I am lucky there are specific buses that transport people from my place to town and viceversa. The fare never hikes because the buses are regulated by authorities.

They are always safe to use and I won't have to worry about running late because the buses are enough and are always available every hour.

7. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling on a public transport has some advantages. You can sleep while you are stuck in a heavy traffic. It is economical because your fare is limited to where your destination ends. You do not need to pay extra gas money to look for a parking lot. Heck, you don't need to look for a parking lot at all. The only disadvantage of not having a car is when it is an emergency.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, we always prefer public transport because it is cheap. Using the car in going to work has an added expense aside from the fuel because we also have to pay for the parking whereas taking the public transport will free us from that added expense. However, it is so difficult to get a ride in a bus or jeepney that’s why we are willing to spend more by using our car. If only there is an efficient train system here that wouldn’t require passengers to fall in line for 1 hour, that would be great.

9. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    It depends on the city and the location. Where I live both the means of transportation are in wide use. I often use my car for transportation everyday. Sometimes I use my motorcycle for transportation. I rarely use public transportation now. Earlier, I used to rely on buses and cabs for transportation. But for saving time, I use my own transportation.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Let's the situation of owning a car and taking a bus. You know people buy cars for they have money or financial assistance to finance it. It's very convenient for them to go anywhere, anytime. If they're working, they come on time to their work. And it's for their private use.

People taking bus for they never own a car or it's the means of transportation available for them. Nevertheless car owners sometimes take bus for their is not available.

In either way, by car or by bus, it doesn't matter as long as the commuter is comfortable.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I see owning a car as a luxury few can afford, and if I could easily afford to buy a car, why not? Is it that I don't appreciate a good and better life for not desiring to own my own personal vehicle.

It all broads down on one's financial capacity and prowess. Having a car would help you in so many ways, it would help you grow your business image, if you deal on contract work. Once the owner of the contract sees you in a good car, he would probably believe that you are good at your job.

It would also boast your business punctuality and good repute. A personal car is always better than public transportation.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If I had a car I much rather use it instead of public transportation as it is more convinient to get to places faster although gas is pricey but I wouldn't travel to far. Having a car would be easier for both my daughter and I as she wouldn't struggle with me when going shopping especially grocery shopping. Yes, transportation saves money but having your own car saves time for those who have a busy day.

13. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    I do not own a car but I am sure that if I owned one I would not drive around with it all the time. If your place of work is close to your house then you should walk there and this helps burn some calories. Maintaining a car is also expensive so unless you are super rich I would suggest you take public transport once in a while and save gas money. However moving around in your car is also convenient because you can go anywhere and buy anything while you go shopping because you won't have to carry it around.

14. charlesjohny8

charlesjohny8New Member

Threads:
    Public transport is good only If every one uses it. Everyone means rich people as well. This is how pollution will be controlled and traffic jam will never happen. I have my car but I never use it for traveling in my city. I only use it whenever I go for long drive or outside the city.

15. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car so I have to rely public transportation or someone else. It depends on the situation itself, sometimes it is better to use public transportation over the car so you wouldn't have to worry as much about gas. I tend to only go to the grocery store or walmart which isn't too far from my place. Some of the public transportation I took in the past were free.