Cheap Dish Recipe #21 – Potato Soup

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Nov 14, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the simplest soup that is prepared usually for the babies and children. The ingredients are potato, flour , garlic, onion, salt.

Peel then boil the potato to tender. In a mixing bowl, mash the potatoes before adding the flour, salt and water to make a batter. Sautee the garlic and onion then pour it in a pot with cold water. Stir very well before setting up medium fire in the stove. Cook until the soup becomes sticky. Add water if necessary. Nice to serve with crackers.

* you can add crispy bits of bacon if you wish for more flavor

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very simple recipe and thanks for sharing with us but I am not understanding why flour is added. Will the flour cook well and be ideal for consumption?

Will the water with garlic and onion be mixed with floor and cooked potatoes and then cooked together?

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks For this recipe sounds delicious and most importantly easy and fast to make. Very helpful as I am always searching for easy recipes that take less than half hour to make since my schedule is most of the time busy. Sounds like a dish my daughter will enjoy as she loves potato.

4. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a different version of this meal. In my country, it is called mashed potato gravy. Absolutely delicious. Best taken hot with a loaf and fried chicken.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Besides potato soup being an extremely cheap dish to be made, is very practical and extremely delicious. I really like this dish (since I'm addicted to potatoes, haha).

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the great recipe, so simple and quick to prepare! Kids love potatoes in all forms and I am sure even adults would love it. It also is an ideal soup for the winter season! I am going to try this soon.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this soup. I have not make soup with flour before, so this is quite interesting to me, and I would like to try it out how it turns out.

We always cook potato soup at home, but what we do is just to cute the potatoes into cubes, then add carrots, tomatoes and onions, and boil them. Sometimes I also add cabbages or celery. I don't add any salt and it already tastes really nice with these few veggies.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember tasting this dish before, eventhough it's a popular one. It seems fairly easy to make though. I would like to try it out sometime.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought about potato soup. I use potato to make various dishes, but have never made any soup. I have a little baby, currently I am feeding hom lentil soup. I will try potato soup for me. I believe if I fee potato soup to the baby, I will save a lot of money on baby food.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have made potato soup before, and the recipe that I usually use is similar to this one, except that I also add some milk into the soup, which makes it even creamier, and I do not mash the potatoes. I chop them into smaller pieces, and chop the onion and garlic (unless I am using garlic powder), and then cook the soup until the potatoes are soft, and then I mix some flour and milk to make into a gravy and add that into the soup. When it thickens, it is delicious.
    An easy addition is a can of corn, either the whole kernel corn or the creamed corn, whichever kind you like best. I also like celery in this soup because the celery adds a nice touch of greens and also adds to the flavor of the soup.

11. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I have not seen this type of soup being made in my region. But thanks for the simple recipe. I will be the first one to prepare it. Let me hope it is not limited to kids, can adults also have a taste? It looks pretty delicious.