Cheap Or Expensive Kid Clothes?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Jun 10, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids grow really fast. And often by the time they outgrow the clothes you bought them, if they were new, they'd still be almost as new as they were. So why buy expensive clothes if in a few months your kid won't be wearing them anymore?

When shopping for kid clothes, always try to buy the cheapest clothes that you can find [not saying you shouldn't go for quality]. It could save you some money.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids yet, but I definitely agree with you @Denis Hard@Denis Hard! Given how fast they grow out of their clothes, there's no way I'd spend a fortune on very expensive children's clothes. I just don't see the point at all. I'd go to affordable clothes stores that offered good quality durable kiddies' clothes. I'd only probably buy a few expensive pieces for special occasions. I have a friend who's all about keeping up appearances and her kids only wear stuff like Christian Dior and Tommy Hilfiger and and I think she's mad because it's not as if she's all that minted LOL

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, a few fancy-looking clothes which are somewhat expensive are OK because when you go out with the kid, they have to be well-dressed.

I know a lady who had only three nice-looking dresses for her daughter. The rest of the clothes were cheap but she could get away with making people think her kid wore only the best because anytime there were guests visiting . . . the kid would be in one of them expensive dresses.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard...Sounds great to me! -and that's exactly what I'll be doing if I'm lucky enough to have children some day. I just don't see the point of spending so much money on stuff they'll only get a few wears out of because of the alarming rate at which they grow. It's not a big deal when you're loaded, but when you're always trying to make ends meet?! It's crazy LOL

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    You know what, I do agree with you. I buy my son cheaper but good quality clothes. These are usually mall brands or surplus store items. I do this because he grows so fast and ultimately, he will just outgrow these clothes. Plus, he's a boy so even a simple shirt can look cute on him already. I do envy the girls' clothes though since they have lots to choose from. But with boys' clothes, you don't have much options.

But when it's his birthday or there's some event we have to go to, we buy him at least more expensive clothes. Our reasoning is that this happens once in a while and we'd want him to look his best. We buy him clothes from brands like Cotton On, Mango or Nautica. These brands have good quality clothes but yes, with the higher price tag.

For normal days though, he can wear his affordable clothes. It doesn't matter what kids wear though, they look cute anyway. I wish we all have that trait. Haha!

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have kids here anymore but I sometimes sponsor the clothes of grandchildren of my siblings especially for birthdays. Some years ago, I would be buying 3 sets of cheaper shirt and shorts combination. My reason is they easily outgrow those kid clothes so why bother with expensive ones. But one time, there was this smart alecky grandson who told me he wanted "Bench" clothes for his birthday. Well, Bench is classy and popular brand of clothes for kids and adults as well.... but I could only buy him 1 set.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a believer in spending too much on kids both on toys and clothes because they grow out of both very quickly and chances are if they are very young they probably won't even remember it that much anyway. My philosophy on this is to just save the money for when they can remember and appreciate the gifts a lot better and if possible if even go as far as to say that it would be best to spend a lot more when they become teens instead because that's when they can really enjoy the gifts like video games or even having a car at the right age can be very helpful as well.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, i have a friends whose kids weren't able to wear some of the clothes she bought/given because her kids have grown so fast. Some of the clothes they've occasionally worn looked fairly new even. It only makes sense if you go for the cheaper clothes for everyday use, but also mix it with a few fancy expensive clothes for special occasions.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that buying a few expensive clothes for special occasions is reasonable enough. The rest of your kids' wardrobe need not be pricey. It's also not appropriate to buy the cheapest clothes you can get your hands on because your kids might be allergic to the fabric or something to that effect. You have to bank on quality too without going all-out with the price. It's a matter of balance.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy in the middle clothes for my kids. My oldest wore clothes from Children's Place until he was a teenager. I would buy the clothes on Boxing Day when the whole store was 40% off, so everything was so reasonably priced. Then when he would outgrow the clothes I packed it all away in bins and my second son now has a complete wardrobe. What I'm most impressed is that the clothes wore so well and are still ins style. My boys are 7 years apart the clothes are just fine. I have to agree that Old Navy too has clothes for kids that are fairly well made and reasonably priced. Again I wait for sales and stock up on clothes like jeans, tshirts, underwear and pajamas. Once and a while I'll buy higher end clothes for the kids like Polo or Tommy Hilfiger but I do this at the outlet stores. Since kids grow so quickly it doesn't make sense to spend so much on clothes. Once my second son outgrows the clothes I take them to consignment shops and resell them.

11. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    There is a case to spend a few extra dollars to get good quality clothes if you have several children of the same gender. I spent a little extra, even at sale prices, on good clothing for my eldest son many years ago and those clothes have held up, by and large, through my second and third sons. Given the number of times the clothes have been worn by this point, the overall cost per wear is probably on the order of six to fourteen cents per item which is incredibly inexpensive.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's quite true. It's better to buy cheap clothes in order to save money or just ask for hand me downs from friends or relatives. You can also just borrow baby clothes that are not being used by your recently pregnant friends so that you won't buy anymore.