Cheap Textbooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DanielleDavidson • Apr 19, 2016.

1. DanielleDavidson

DanielleDavidsonNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know of any sites that you can get cheap textbooks on? I've been searching for awhile now, but I can't seem to find a good site that seems legit. Most of the sites that I end up finding, the customers say that the textbook books didn't get their on time, or it's a scam. It seems like you just have to shell out a ton of money for textbooks no matter what.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I do not miss having to pay for these, and they put a serious dent in a student's budget, so I am at least glad to hear that there are some options out there. The worst is when you barely even use the books in class too.

3. bjones_y

bjones_yNew Member

Threads:
    Plus the publishers keep coming up with ways to grab more cash or eliminate used versions for sale. Online access codes and loose-leaf textbooks are the newest tricks. I hope Rice University Open Resources program gains some ground. Students are graduating with huge student debt that will take years to pay off.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    eBay is also a good place and maybe Craigslist also. Also, there might be some lesser known spot, kind of like a secret social club where local students sell to local students. I mean, I have heard of local students who want to sell their books outside of big-name retailers. Well, definitely Craigslist is one place but I'm speaking of something even more remote.

5. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know any sites that offer cheap text books, however, I am sure there are sites where you can find cheap textbooks, even students notes than can aid you in your class. When I was a student, I went to second hand book store in my town and always purchased books from second hand store. It saved a lot of money.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    You want to be extremely careful about eBooks, though. If they come from shady sources, not some official company website or something similarly legit, then you can get viruses. Those things can destroy your computer. Note, as with music and movie downloads, the companies probably put them there on purpose.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say cheap textbooks sites are plenty. You can find plenty of listings on the craiglist, ebay too. Also amazon has the used items sections for the books too. So there's plenty of stuff to check. I'd say I don't mind making use of the used items. The reason being it's not going to be easy to get them low cost and good condition at the same time. So it may differ from one person to another.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I recently saw an ad related to Amazon.com where they invited people to sell their old textbooks to them so they can be available for others at a cheap price. But it might be country specific to my country. But you can always do a little bit of networking and befriend parents of other kids and see if they can sell you their kids' textbooks which they no longer need for a cheap price. This is what many people I know do. Some of the parents have formed groups where they exchange textbooks and other reading material.

9. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are so many free eBooks present on the internet. In fact, some of the book owners can even pay you for reading their book. There are also sites that give those books if not totally free, at a small fixed price. Such sites include
    1. Google eBookstore.
    2. Project Gutenberg.
    3. Open Library.
    4. Internet Archive.
    5. BookBoon.
    6. ManyBooks.net.
    7. Free eBooks.
    8. LibriVox.

10. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    There are number of sites you can go to in order to get textbooks on a cheap dime. There is Amazon, ebay, barnes and noble and abebooks and alibris. You should check out goodreads, they have a list of online book stores you can purchase from. You could also just try out e-books.

11. textbookhunter

textbookhunterNew Member

Threads:
    Hi, I can help you find the cheapest used textbooks available in US, as your personal textbook finder. Only tested and reliable sellers.