Christmas Feel Is In The Air. Do You Make Your Own Christmastree?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by iamawriter • Nov 17, 2017.

1. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKingNew Member

Threads:
    In my part of the world, people raise Christmas trees for sale, cut or live. The trees grow quickly on steep-sloping ground that wouldn't be good for agriculture, and they're a native species, so it's totally Green.

I personally was brought up not decorating a Christmas tree, because there's a passage in the biblical book of Isaiah that describes decorating trees as "vain," and I've never really liked nonfunctional "decorations" in my home...but I'm seeing some pretty ones going up.

2. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 Actually it is the base that one uses for many years but putting up decorations could always be different from one year to another. What do you do to make the tree look different each year? I know there will be new introductions in the market. I like variety.

@tallulah@tallulah Even I strongly feel trees should not be cut that would only serve as firewood after the season is over. One can grow their own tree in a large pot. It can reach the height of atleast 6 feet in a pot and that is a good size. Artificial trees do give joy too when each year a different concept is introduced with decorations.

#22Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2017
  3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I normally let my granddaughter decorate it and then 'adjust' it later when she is in bed lol. I'm afraid we've had the same decs for years although this year I am buying some new ones to go with our new tree so it should look very different.

4. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 This is the first year I will not have a tree as I donated it to the less privileged last year. Have no plans to buy one although I have plans to have a party for seniors from an olda ge home who can well do without one I suppose (lol)

@tallulah@tallulah Does that mean you do not have a Christmas Tree put up or you have one planted in your own house? May be then you buy an artificial tree which is what many do, me included. We get so many unique decorations in that it can get a new look each year.

@Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady I think putting up a Christmas Tree is for all ages as it does puts\ one in a Christmas mood specially when time is spent to decorate it. I have never heard of Noble Fir. How is it different from other fir trees?

@kaka135@kaka135 Christmas is for everybody regardless of what religion one belongs to. That is what I notice here. Your kids would I am sure love it if you bought one for them and together help them put up the decorations.

#24Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
  5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All Christmas trees that are farm-raised are trimmed every year so that the branches grow thicker. The trimmer comes through the Christmas tree farm and with a machete, they chop off the ends of the branches, so that the side branches grow thicker, and it also gives the tree the traditional Christmas tree shape.
    Many of the trees, especially the Scotch Pine are so thick by the time that they are cut for Christmas there is no space in between the branches, and decorations and lights have to be strung around the outside of the tree.

The Noble Fir is a high mountain fir, so it naturally grows tall and with more spaces in between each swirl of branches. Even though they are trimmed to thicken them, you can still see room for ornaments and lights on the branches themselves and not just on the outside of the tree.
    I used to have some really beautiful vintage ornaments that my mother and father had, and they needed space between the branches to hang down and not be stuck between the branches.
    Noble Firs also are an intense shade of green, a dark, almost bluish-green color, and the needles are long and thick.
    To me, it is just a beautiful tree. Here is a picture.
    5CAF60F2-55BB-4E83-9FDB-CF7A78B440E7.

6. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    What a densely grown tree this is. It looks so different from the trees that we normally see. I am sure it would be costlier too. It is sad that these trees are cut for use during the Christmas season.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    The tree is aptly named as the Noble fir. It is so beautifully shaped and I really love the bluish green colour of the tree, it is almost surreal in feel, It looks really majestic and awesome. Do you plan to put up the same variety of tree as for this Christmas?? If you do, share pictures of your tree with its decorations!

8. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    I don't know how to make and I don't have time, so I prefer to buy it from online. But, I make sure all preparation goes well and we have a nice Christmas party at my home.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    How interesting it would be if I am able to make a Christmas tree myself. Funny enough I never imagined doing that. I am good at admiring decently made ones. Maybe I should try and find out how to make beautiful Christmas tree this Yuletide. Apart from the joy of doing it yourself one may also make for others even at a price.

10. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose if one is interested in creating one's own tree time could be made for it. You could have other interests for which I am sure you will make time. I hate needle work and I always said I have no time to stitch. Life goes on. Anyway glad to hear you had a great season.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I read in another forum where someone used all discarded computer peripherals to create a christmas tree. I did not know one could go that far for creating a tree. Ofcourse he added lights to enhance its look is what he said in his post. Sky is the limit is what I now know.