Chromecast vs. Roku

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by helpingcollier4 • Dec 31, 2014.

1. helpingcollier4

helpingcollier4Member

Threads:
    I have really enjoyed the Roku 2. It has a number of good, free channels and I am able to use my MLB.TV subscription with ease. I am considering updating to the new Roku 3, but I have heard a lot about Chromecast from Google and I am wondering what its advantages might be over Roku.

Would someone with Chromecast mind sharing some of the main things you enjoy about it, please? Also, if there are any poster who have used both the Roku and Chromecast, I would be every interested to hear your opinions as to which device is better. My Roku 2 still works well, so I am not in a hurry to update, but when I do buy a new device, I would like to be armed with as much information as possible.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard the very best reports about the Amazon Fire TV. It actually costs more than either the Roku, or the Chromecast; however, they are coming out with something called the Fire Stick (or something like that), and it is about $39, so very affordable. If you look for the comparison of all of them, it should give you an idea of which one would work the best for you.
    We have an Apple TV and are very happy with that, but we also have an iPad; so it works well together. Apple, at least at this point , doesn''t have a cheaper alternative like the others do.
    I read that Roku is better than chromecast; but that was just one of those websites that do evaluations of these gadgets.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Virtually all review sites are going to say the same thing: Roku > Google > Amazon. The Chromecast is the cheapest streaming stick (all streaming boxes are the same $99 price basically) and it has some great features, but the app selection isn't as good as Roku. You won't get a remote with the Chromecast either, like you would with Amazon Fire TV Stick and Roku Streaming Stick (or Roku Players). Also, the biggest problem with Amazon Fire TV is that all of these products are best with an Amazon Prime Subscription, and the interface is geared toward Amazon Instant while making it more difficult to use other apps.

If you like the Roku interface, then you're better off buying the Roku 3 if the difference in price isn't an issue. Even the Roku Streaming Stick is better than the Chromecast and only costs an extra $15. Roku is the king of streaming devices, and not just because it's been around the longest in this particular industry (all things streaming).

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I've found that roku streams hands down better than chromecast; but my experience may be somewhat limited, as I already had a roku player and tried a chromestick against it. There may be a better chromecast device than the stick. I don't know. I just know that with the chromestick streaming was stuttered and of very poor quality whereas the roku player streamed the same things pretty much perfectly.

5. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    I don't have a Chromecast yet, I just ordered one three days ago, but I did get to play with both of them, and to be honest, the Roku is way better. The streaming is quite flawless and it just feels better overall. The apps are better designed and way more variated. I'm gonna test the Chromecast more extensively when it gets here, but I doubt I'll change my opinion.

6. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Roku > Chromecast. Stream is better, apps are better. It's almost flawlessly and it runs smooth.

7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I have the Roku Streaming Stick myself and it works like a charm. It works very well for my WWE Network subscription, iheartradio, Netflix, and Pandora/

The reviews on the Chromecast are fairly mixed from what I have read; and from demonstrations I have seen it is really only good for casting things onto your TV from your computer. You can't just scroll through channels like on the Roku or Amazon Fire TV.

If I were you, I'd stick to the Roku

8. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone use the UFC Fight Pass subscription on any of those?
    Also, do I need a streaming device in order to buy a Pay Per View? Sorry if the question is dumb... :oops:
    Also would like to ear from people who use these devices, and live outside of the U.S.

As always, thanks for helping out sirs... :cool:

9. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I have two different models of Roku and I also have a NetGear streaming device. I would not recommend the NetGear as the channel selection is quite sparse. I put it in a spare bedroom and it does get Netflix so that is enough for occasional use. I actually prefer the less expense Roku1 device I have vs. the more expensive one I first purchased, without knowing any better. I have found with the more expensive one (Roku XD), it locks up on a fairly regular basis and I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. Very annoying.

To me, it's really all about the channel selection. I like LOTS of choices.

10. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I'm also debating whether or not to get the Roku or the chromecast. I know that either one would be cheaper than cable. Thank you guys for sharing your opinions on this topic. It will help when I get ready to buy one. I am thinking that the Roku will work best for my family. We have a wide variety of taste when it comes to tv shows.

11. Xenokitten

XenokittenNew Member

Threads:
    I love my chrome cast because it allows me to transmit my entire desktop screen. I am not locked into what I can watch. Did you know that with Hulu (and yes, even with Hulu Plus) their "mobile" platform does not have all of the same titles that their web version has? Roku (and similar devices) have a limited number of shows available on Hulu through their device, compared to the hulu.com full website. But, with my chrome cast, I can start a show and then transmit my screen (can even be "full screen") to my TV. Plus, with Chrome Cast, you could use it for gaming, meetings (power point, etc), or Image Gallery / Slide Show. It's more versatile than just watching TV. You can do ANY thing that you normally do on your PC and send your entire PC screen to your TV. I love my chrome cast. It's super simple to set up, even a non-tech savvy individual could do it easily. It walks you through everything right on screen. I believe it's priced under $40. I got mine for free since I am a web developer and part of their Google Connect Partners platform (for web developers and their clients). But, it's well worth the money, even for the full price. It's an amazing little device. I highly recommend it.

Edit to add: Also, I read through some comments above about not getting a "remote". You can pick up a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse for incredibly cheap which allows you to navigate easily even from another room. You can find these accessories almost anywhere, walmart, kmart, even discount stores like biglots. So I would not let the remote control be the deciding factor in which device to pick.