Cloth Diapers- What Type Do You Prefer?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by jcort • Jan 29, 2015.

1. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I've been cloth diapering for a couple years now. I have a toddler and an infant, and I've tried all the different varieties.

I think I've landed on liking the prefolds and covers, even though they're the "older" style, versus the pockets or all-in-ones. Prefolds are just so quick and easy to wash, fold, and put away!

I have absolutely loved saving money using cloth diapers. Other than buying the occasional pack of disposables for the babysitter or going on a trip, we are disposable free! It's great not having to worry about that cost in our weekly budget.

So, what do others like to use?

2. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer the one size pocket diapers and mostly use BumGenius brand. I have velcro and snap closure options, and the velcro does wear out after a while, so the snaps are nice. Snaps are a little bit trickier with smaller babies to get the right fit, but once they get bigger it's not so bad.

If you like prefolds and covers, you should try using the Flip diaper system! It's also by BumGenius and has similar covers as their pockets, but it comes with a rectangular insert that you can double up for more absorbency. I used to use prefolds and covers at home, but once I was given some Flip covers and inserts, I pretty much ditched the prefolds because the Flips seem to have a drier feel for baby, which helps with rashes, and they are easier to use since you don't have to fold them at all like the prefolds. Again, I would suggest the snap Flip covers instead of the velcro since it's the same velcro as BumGenius, but overall it's a nice system.

3. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I've used BumGenius, but I've never tried the Flip system! I've actually used Econobum (which I think is also from Cotton Babies, the BumGenius company).

Am I correct in understanding that you don't use the microfiber pocket inserts OR prefolds with the flips? What do you use in them- is it a specific Flip product?

Also- do you feel comfortable using Flips at night, or don't they hold up that long?

4. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    Correct - there is a separate Flip insert that has a microfiber back and a stay dry smooth front. I actually even use the Flip inserts with other covers, and it seems to work just as good as with the Flip covers, so if you are already using other covers and wanted to try them, you could just buy some of the inserts.

I actually don't cloth diaper at night:( I tried for probably a year with my 2nd, and I don't know if he's just a heavy wetter, but we were having some bad rashy stuff going on and it always cleared up when I used a disposable with normal diaper rash cream overnight, so I gave up on cloth overnight. So we just do cloth during the day. I do see where they have some Flip overnight inserts, so maybe those would be good for overnight, but I never tried any Flip products overnight, just heavy overnight pockets.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather have the disposable diapers, because I really don't to laundry repeatedly for something like a diaper. Besides I always need for immediate replacement, so I'd either buy tons of cloth-diapers and have them washed at once, or wash them little by little in plenty times? Neither sounds pleasing.

6. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big

fan. They have a proprietary "Slide2Size" leg elastic system that makes them almost infinitely adjustable, and the closest to truly "One Size" I have found. They are used a lot like covers, with a snap at the back to hold the pod in place. SoftBums offers two styles, Echo and Omni (the Omni is a little wider and can double as a pocket diaper). In my opinion, SoftBums has the best aplix/velcro in the business. I have not been happy with any other brands' velcro, but these are still going strong!

At first I was a die-hard Echo user, because they are so trim - almost as trim as a disposable. But as time has gone on, I can appreciate the Omni too. I don't use it as a pocket; I still snap in the insert and use it basically as a cover. The added width means I can put in two pods for heavier wetting. This has worked for overnight too, but I'm sure that depends a lot on the baby.

We're probably about 50% with cloth right now. With the last baby, I was really hard-core - that's when we did cloth even at night. But we're busier now, I have no patience for even one leak, and I don't want the laundry getting out of hand. So if we're around the house we use cloth, but running errands and overnight we use disposables.