Coin Saving Plan

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by remnant • May 20, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I discovered a very easy and hassle free saving strategy. It involved saving every coin that I got as change when shopping. Within a short time I had accumulated quite a good figure. The only challenge was that I couldn't summon enough discipline not to reach back to the coins. They can be converted into notes and deposited into a bank account. This method is very effective since one does not have to budget on savings.

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It keep a tin in a cupboard and I throw any coins in my wallet into it. I haven't worked out how much there is but it must be a reasonable amount, given that I've been doing it for over a year. All I've got to do now is find somewhere that will actually take all this loose change! Not everywhere will accept bags of coins.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a coin jar which I don't use that much these days.

Since I have to make a number of purchases [my work demands that I do] withdrawing cash every day would profit the bank handsomely so I instead use my debit card to pay for the things I buy.

If shop with cash regularly I believe saving your change can be an easy way to save money each time you go shopping.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I save my loose change by putting it in a vase. I can't see it so I don't think about it. It didn't take long to fill because it's a small vase. The last time I rolled coins from it came to $30. I took the rolled coins to the bank but had to deposit them and then withdraw $30 from my existing balance. I was told by the teller it's done that way in case there were any coins lacking.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Use a container that's really difficult to open so you'll be motivated enough not to break your makeshift coin bank and reach out for the coins you managed to save. Although you can always train yourself so that you don't need to resort to such a hassle, but just to be sure, you can opt for this plan. Or you can ask a trustworthy person to keep the coin bank on your behalf so that you won't be tempted to spend your coin savings.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do this but i just put my coins in a box and it was a total failure because i can easily reach inside and touch my coin savings. I guess i wasn't really invested into that whole process, i was just trying it out see if it works for me. I might have to do this again but this time, i'll use a container where access will be quite a task.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I use this strategy to save money. I have a piggy box where I place coins or small denomination bank notes every time I get change. I open my piggy bank in three four months when I desperately need money. By that time I would already have a good amount.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    It has been my habit to save in a piggy bank ever since I was a kid and now my little boy also does that with coins that I give him for keeping. Until now I still make it a habit to feed my piggy bank with coins. At the end of the year I open it and count the coins, then I bring them to the bank for depositing. They're just small amounts but they can still sum up to something. :)

9. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do this as well. It's a great way for people that have a difficult time trying to save money. My husband for example, really struggles with spending and saving, and I noticed that he disliked using a lot of his change to pay for things. For some reason he rarely used nickels and he would have a ton of nickels sitting around. Whenever he was strapped for bus fare, I would tell him to use those nickels, but he would hate to use them. So, one day I finally decided to put those nickels in a jar and every few months, I would wrap them and put them in a box under our bed. I had over $200 in nickels in that box and from that day on, my husband saw saving a lot differently. He also told me, he couldn't save and how difficult it was for him, and I always told him that he could, but I guess sometimes you have to show people how it can be done rather than just telling them.