Commercials Geared Toward Children

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Nanatracyann • Mar 28, 2012.

1. Nanatracyann

NanatracyannNew Member

Threads:
    I watch my Twin Grandchildren and we have our television on for certain programs. Every time a commercial comes on they say "Nana I WAnt THAT!!" I usually break down and buy it...Ugh..no willpower when it comes to my Twins Grandchildren! The point I am making is that the commercial is always louder than the actual program, and get's their attention immediately.
    I just purchased 'Wuggle Pets', they are Fabric animals that you stuff with a fun factory machine and fill with stuffing. They are just like 'Build A Bear'. I would like to know if there is a place where I can purchase 'As Seen On TV' items cheaper than buying them in a retail store? Any suggestions and advice would greatly be appreciated!:)

2. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    Although I regret that I cannot help you with your question with regards to finding "As Seen On TV" items for cheaper than their retail price, I would like to make a comment on your statement about TV commercials being louder than the actual TV programme being screened at the time. Me and a family friend recently emailed a TV channel named "QUEST" about this very thing, and we got a response saying that the commercials where advertised in this way in order for the advertisers' requirements to be met.

Therefore, this is actually quite out of the TV channels' control. It's the advertisers which request this and feel the need to place this clause in their contracts.

3. rachallen

rachallenNew Member

Threads:
    My kids have the "I want that" bug too. I just tell them that if they are good, maybe they will get it for Christmas. So, yes, it is March and we are in the store and my kids are asking me if they can get a toy for Christmas. People look at my kinda funny, but if I bought everything for them they saw at the store and on tv, I would be broke.

4. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps this would be a good time to begin teaching your children about money- budgeting and management. Instead of telling them they will get it for Christmas, you could teach them about earning things. Small children can earn rewards for things such as cleaning up their toys, staying in bed all night, or using the toilet. Older children can begin helping with things around the home to earn rewards.

5. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    We have that same problem at our house. As soon as the commercial comes on, the kids want it. I do agree with you that they do seem louder. Here is a little trick that we found works.

At the end of the commerical it says something along the lines of, "You must be 18 or older to call." We just look at the kids and say, "You heard the guy. You have to be 18 or older." Amazingly it worked. A couple of months ago my son came off with, "You are older than 18. You can call." To this I responded, "Yes, but I am not the one who wants the toy. They want to talk to the person who actually wants the toy, so they would make me put you on the phone. You are not 18." Now everytime a commercial comes on my children will say, "We can't get it because we have to be 18 or older." They say this even when it is not an As Seen On TV item.

I hate lying, but it did stop the constant begging. Plus now I can just keep a mental track of the items that they showed interest in for Christmas without them expecting to get it.

6. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    There are some things available online, but they are not the exact same product rather an immitation. I doubt that children realize it though, so look around.

7. rymick

rymickNew Member

Threads:
    You sound like an advertiser's dream!
    When I see something on TV that I want or want to get for my kids, I always check on Ebay first. You will probably be able to find it there for at least a little less. Many times though, you get your order doubled or some other free product if you order directly through the commercial, so take that into consideration, too.
    If you have a DVR and record their shows, you can fast forward the commercials and eliminate the problem! Then you can buy what you want to buy for them when you want to buy it.
    It is so important though, that you keep in mind that your time, love and attention is worth so much more than any material gift you can give the twins.

8. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I am a grandmother as well, so I understand wanting to spoil the grandchildren. Unfortunately, you are reinforcing their behavior by giving in to their every whim. I know it is tough to say no, but your time and attention are what really matters. Their memories of your time together are what they will treasure when they are grown, not whether you bought them some trinket.

9. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    As a parent I can say that when the Grandparents give the children everything they want it's very frustrating and undermines the values that parent's are trying to teach their children. My twin daughters want every single thing that comes across the t.v., and as much as I would love to be able to do everything for them, I can't nor is that a good lesson to teach them. It can also be upsetting to know that I can't even plan something special for their birthday or Christmas because their Grandmother has already gotten them everything they want. I do blame the advertisers however, their shameless commercials towards young children are awful, not to mention are designed to teach kids to have low self esteem. If they do not have the newest coolest toy they are not as good as the kid who is spoiled.

10. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, my kids have the same issue! The best place is to wait a couple of months because you can find the item at Walmart. Then you can save quite a bit of money!!

11. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I just tell my kids no. Pretty simple actually.

12. Lucky120

Lucky120New Member

Threads:
    Yeah kids tend to have the I want bug as they get older and see more things, but sometimes it is best to read about what they are throwing on tv and also try and tell them that everything is not good to buy because it is cheap. Some of these products are good while others are not, but I would read about it and see what some other parents think. I have not bought these for my kids, so I am not sure. I hope that you find your answers and that you get the kids something that they will love. Good Luck to you.

13. xtinguish

xtinguishNew Member

Threads:
    That's the best parenting style to have. Personally I'd say no just like what my parents said to me. 5 minutes later I forgot about it anyways.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not know where you can get the exact product cheaper...but usually 'similar' ones are made soon after it is advertised and you can get a version of it almost anywhere. A search online should take you to a site. Even your local stores often will have something.

As for the advertisements aimed at children...it makes diabolical sense. They rule many households, whether the parent realize it or not. Just give a listen when you are in the supermarket. Hilarious...and sometimes a little scary.

15. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    As a kid I saw a lot of things on TV I wanted, but my parents never really listened to me. It was fine though, that actually taught me to be happy with what I had and not to be so obsessed about material stuff as most of my friends are. Just say no.

16. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    I would try to teach them about money and how everything that is on tv doesn't always work. This tactic might be effective, and they will realize they can't always get what they want.

17. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    My son is the same way. Every infommercial he sees that involves some sort of toy he wants. We just tell him that we don't have the money and he lets it go. He seems to forget about it until they show the infommercial again. Then he's like Oh yeah, I wanted that! The only thing we have ever purchased for him was the happy napper because every time it came on he talked about how much he loved the dog. We bought it at WalMart for him for Christmas. I find that it is cheaper to purchase As Seen on TV items in retail stores because you don't have to worry about shipping costs.

18. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Ahh, kid's commercials. How I hate them. Whenever my little brother would go "I want that" all I really say is "No."

He shuts up pretty quick about it.

Though I make up for it after by giving him ice cream.

19. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    The only store I have seen the As Seen on TV products in other than a major retail store, that sells them for a cheaper price would be the Dollar General. However, you have to wait a while for the product to hit the Dollar General shelves. This generally happens about 6-12 months after the product has first been aired on the TV.

On the up side: I have been able to purchase that were originally sold on TV for $19.99 and $29.99 for $1 on clearance at Dollar General.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like my mother's strategy.

We grew up fully believing that the commercials on TV were there to trick you into buying something expensive and useless. As an adult, I see that this wasn't far from the truth.