Conserving Water At Home

Discussion in Water started by Kiama • Sep 14, 2017.

1. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    I am one person who loves staying in a clean place. This means that my house, clothes, utensils and every other thing in my apartment undergoes cleaning each day. I end up having a very high water bill as compared to my other bills. What are some of the things that I can do to minimise water usage and at the same time maintain my hygiene standards?

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

You can make sure to close a running tap. You can reuse water by washing the house with the same water you used to wash your clothes.

I always wash the house on weekends and not everyday. I find this easy for me and I also don't use much water. I always wash all utensils then rinse them twice. I never save water when it comes to utensils because they need to be clean.

You can drink how much you want so that is okay. Water is a basic need and reusing it when it comes to washing clothes, house, windows and shoes can help to save some. :)

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use water or cleansers to clean my windows on the outside. Though you must do this often, like every other week, you save on water and cleaning agents, and get quite a workout dusting your windows. I have a long handle duster, my trusty 2 step ladder and a steady step. I choose a day when the wind is blowing in the right direction away from my neighbors and I dust my windows and before the Sun strikes too hot to dust. In respect of others when there are people who pass by I stop, dusting till they are out of range of my cleaning. I too like clean utensils, so I keep a soapy cloth to wipe my utensils before I use them and I wipe my pots before I cook in them too. I make sure that the access is gone before I use my pots and utensils. This way I save water. I have aloe, broad leaf plantain growing little herb garden. I catch water in an old empty creamer container for my plants and they love the water. I cook rice and catch all the water and give this water to the plants who love the coating of the rice I wash away water. Good luck in saving water and money. These are some ways I save water and money, I hope they work for you too.

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    There are various ways to conserve water. Instead of running the faucet while brushing your teeth or washing your face or hands, you can use a water filled mug to clean your mouth or face. In this way, you will save water everytime you wash your mouth, face or hands. You also save water by using shower instead of bath. One of the ways to conserve water is by reusing water. You can use waste water to clean your house or even water your plants.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, avoid messing up the house particularly the kitchen which is the number 1 place that needs water. When cooking vegetables, use a basin for soaking especially the green leafy vegetables. Don't wash it with running water in the tap. In cleaning the pots and pans, soak it with water for at least 10 minutes so the dirt will come off by itself. It will then be easier to wash it with dishwashing soap. Just some of our simple ways in conserving water at home.

6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    One way to cut up on your water bill is maybe using gallon water or water bottles. When ever my mother was not able to pay the water bill on time that is what we usually end up having to do. Also, try to limit you time when you wash, try cleaning dishes and yourself as quickly and sufficiently as possible. Try also using more styrofoam or plastic plates, cups and bowls if possible.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I would touch on utensils here. Scrub all of them and keep them on the platform. Open the tap just enough. Pick one item at a time and wash it till the detergent is all gone and while placing it in the drainer pick the next one to wash, simultaneously. The tap is never closed till all items are washed.

8. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I always caught my husband brushing his teeth while the faucet still on. I always remind him to conserve water, not just for the water bill but also I think of those less fortunate people who do not have much water to drink or those countries with a lot of scarcity of water.
    I wash the dishes with just the right amount of water or let's just say I open the tap just as much as I needed to clean dishes, bottles or even with laundry.

9. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    One way of conserving water is by re-using it. Like if you have a car or a motorcycle for instance, then you can recycle that water you use to wash your clothes to clean the dirt on your vehicle and water the plants too. You can also use a glass filled with water to brush your teeth instead of keeping the water faucet running. And when taking a bath, you might opt to using just a dipper and a bucket of water instead of actually using the shower or the bath tub.

10. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Great tips you got there. Though we have to keep in mind when using water used for laundry, we have to use that water that has not been used for detergents of course. It's a no-brainer actually especially if it has to be used to water the plants.

11. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    Yup, certainly. Nobody would want to cause those lovely plants to wilt because of accidentally watering it with detergent filled water especially those precious orchids. Thanks for the reminder. Never done it actually.

12. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Well, unfortunately, I saw some of my neighbors used that detergent-filled water to water their plants. Crazy right? Some also spread it out on the road especially if it's summer and the road's too hot.

13. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    Was it accidental? I just hope it is. Maybe they do not intend to actually cause harm to the plants, just unknowingly did it perhaps.

Isn't it quite dangerous to actually throw water on the road, what's more with that greywater. I just remember the phrase "slippery when wet", it might cause a road mishap or something. Any way, maybe it's not meant to cause any untoward incident, just quenching the heat (of the road, that is).

14. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Not accidental, it's on purpose. They water their plants with the used water from laundry. That's how they see to it that they're doing some conservation of water.

And yes, they do that to quench the heat off the road. It's not that slippery though since it's too hot and sunny, the water on the road dries out immediately.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    You could turn off the tap when it's not necessary to have it running. Many persons have this habit of running the water cotinuously when they are brushing their teeth or washing something in the sink. Turning off the tap when it's not required to have the water running could save a cosiderable of water. Another area where there cold also be a good amount of saving on water usage is to change from the older water guzzling type of toilet bowl to the more modern type which guarantees more efficient water usage.