Cost effective emergency only phone for kids?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by savergrl • Aug 10, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I recently called ATT about a gophone for my son. I dont want him to have internet or be able to call half the free world and use up minutes on my plan. The ATT rep told me I can sign up for the pay as you go plan and add a texting package! For $5 month I can add 200 text messages and he will have $0.10 minute calls if the need arises. Best of all a $10 refill card is valid for 3 months if we choose not to go with the plan and just "pay as we go". So if he just uses the texting like he is supposed to his phone line will only cost me $60 year!!! Im pretty excited about this!

Has anyone found a better deal than this? Id love to know details if you have! :D

2. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    If it is an emergency phone then why do you need text messaging? Just go to straight talk, virgin mobile, or any other pay as you go place and just give them $20 bucks for a phone with some minutes on it then reload it when you are done. You can even go buy a burner phone from a vending machine for a couple bucks if you are really using it just for an emergency.

I just saved you $40 a year.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I like the prepaid idea for kids. There is no way they can run up a bill by texting the whole world or calling, once they are out of minutes they are out of minutes. You can limit the amount they get and you don't pay for minutes they don't use. Remember that any cell phone will dial 911 so if you go with prepaid and he runs out of minutes, he can still call 911 if needed. $20 for the phone and if he is good with his minutes, you won't have to worry about buying a lot of minutes.

4. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that pre-paid is probably your best bet. It is a better idea for kids because once his time is up, it's up. :)

5. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I also like this idea, you never know when they could need to call in a time of an emergency.. I will for sure be checking into that so I can get my daughter one, I really like that Idea.