Customs Fees

Discussion in Shipping Services started by gracer • Mar 1, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Hi guys! :)

I've recently just bumped into an online review about a company I was considering on buying items from. They offer free shipping anywhere in the world but the problem some of the previous buyers had was the cost they had to pay with their country's customs before they could take a hold of their ordered goods.

There's this company though that offers items at higher prices and also offers free shipping but they claim that the customs fees and taxes are already included in the price of their goods so on does not have to worry about having to pay an extra cost for their products.

How about you guys, what are your experiences with regards to customs from items yo ordered internationally?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I also frequently encounter - however having once - although admittedly almost a decade ago now - got caught out and landed up paying way more than double the original price - due to customs fees - even though shipping was free.

I would say to anyone thinking of doing this - even though there are now many legit online stores that offer free international shipping as well as a few that say they cover all customs fees too - always be sure to read even the tiniest of small print in the terms and conditions - prior to parting with any money.

Particularly as - there is often a catch - in that - its not always quite as good a bargain as many may think - especially as - although shipping may be free - because import duties, taxes and charges are not generally regarded as the responsibility of the seller and are therefore not included in the shipping cost - it is usually the buyer's responsibility to pay them.

Which is why - its always advisable to check the customs regulations of the country you live in - as well as the duties and taxes - which not only vary from country to country but also from point of entry - otherwise - even with free shipping - what you originally thought was a bargain - may well result in paying way, way more than the original non sale price of the goods and more - once the import duties and taxes have been added to the original price.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with what you've said @gata montes@gata montes. While some may think that they've already got a good deal with their shopping with the sales and free shippings but the truth is that they could end up spending way more than what they shopped for. It's really important to know the customs policies in your country first before ordering items from another country. It pays a lot to research first before deciding to purchase internationally. :)

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far, I haven't had to deal with this, but I have a feeling I will have to, eventually. I've sold a few items to international buyers, but I guess the value of the goods were low enough so that I didn't have to be concerned about Customs. I know there was some sort of way to word the shipping to get around the issue, but I'm not one to cut legal corners, and I've always advised international buyers that Customs fees were not included. I think things have changed a lot since that time, and even with digital goods, Etsy has a new policy for those sold to overseas buyers. I read the policy at the time of the update, but I don't recall exactly how it was worded, although I think the fees are separate and distinct from item prices, and are collected separately by Etsy at the time of, or shortly after, the sale is processed.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I am based in Nepal and most of the popular shopping sites such as ebay and Amazon are based in foreign soil. My home country has a tight regulations regarding transaction in foreign currency and buying products from foreign soil. According to the regulation, anything that is bought for personal use (an item that is not very expensive)may be exempted from custom charge. I have bought couple of items from ebay and have not paid customs until now.

6. barginrocks

barginrocksMember

Threads:
    Do not think about free shipping, that's a little trick by the seller cause they are not making charity, their missions is to earn money instead of helping people. All the fees should be included in the products you bought as well as the customs fee and other fees you need to pay which might be even more expensive than the shipping fee.

If you want to buy things from China for example, you can follow the China online shopping tips to select a reliable agent to help you shopping then pay the necessary fee.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard the story of a man who bought a cheap SUV from Japan. He had to pay for shipping separately but total sum spent would be a lot less than he'd spend on a new SUV in his home country. He was wrong though. Customs fees were insanely high. He actually ended up spending more money than he would if he'd bought a new SUV at home.

Factor in those customs fees . . . a cheap product could end up being really expensive after you pay customs fees.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. There's really something tricky behind cheaper products or free shipping offers from abroad. If you think about the custom fees and all the hassle, it is still better to just buy locally. One might even end up saving more if he/she buys from his/her own country.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    The general rule of my home country is any new goods that passes through the custom is subject to custom clearance. Because of this rule, Amazon does not sell electronic items to the people in my country. However, when you buy on ebay, you can receive your goods without actually paying the custom charge. Since the shipping is handled by a shipping company, every legal issues is handled by the shipping company. .