Cutting the cord, What have you done?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by scottyxx • Apr 3, 2013.

1. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I finally cut the cord about a month ago and I do not miss it. I certainly don't miss playing that bill! I still have Netflix and use it with my Xbox so that I can still watch movies and shows on my big screen. I wasn't a regular TV watcher when I had cable, so I haven't noticed the difference of not having it.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are actually quite the opposite, we just subscribed to cable 3 months ago for the 1st time, I think we tried to save money by not appyling for a broadband internet subscription and just opted for a cable subscription instead.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was finding a lot of my shows on services such as TV Muse and Project Free TV, but they haven't been updating with the shows I watch lately so I've been turning to torrents again. As long as you don't mind watching your shows the following day, you can usually find all you are looking for on The Pirate Bay.

4. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever heard of a television Antenna? Broadcast signals are in the highest definition available. Then get a good streaming device such as Roku. Netflix and Hulu+ will run you about $16 a month. You will probably want to add Playon tv for a couple of dollars more. Netflix and Amazon are available to rent movies through Roku and probably other streaming devices.

5. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I cut the cord about three months ago and it was far easier than I thought it would be. Feels so good to not pay that high bill! I don't feel like I've missed anything I truly want to see. I have always been more of a movie watcher, so I do have Netflix. I'm thinking about getting a Roku soon. I usually watch Netflix on my iPad, but I did buy that nice flatscreen...feel like I should use it more often.

6. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    My husband and I love our Roku! We already had the internet so it was just the logical soution. Now we have loads of free channels along with Netflix, Hulu, ect... It is so mch fun looking for movies, and tv series that we love!

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut the cord about 6 months ago when I moved. My rent went up so something had to go. I can't give up the internet so cable had to go. It has been interesting. At first, we used the Wii to watch Neflix and Hulu. I can basically watch just about everything online via my computer.

Recently, my roommate bought the Roku. His friend gave him his HBO password so he can keep up to day with his Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.

8. danasaurus

danasaurusNew Member

Threads:
    I cut the cord a few years ago and never looked back.

I have an OTA antenna that grabs all the local stations in all of their HD glory. The antenna is connected to an HDHomerun network tuner, which allows any computer in my house to access the tv streams. The living room TV is powered by a Mac Mini running EyeTV software for live tv and Plex for downloaded shows and other local content (home videos, concerts, etc.) All of that + Netflix means I'm paying about $60/mo for my setup (Netflix + internet bill) and getting everything I need.

Cord-cutting is a great way to cut back on monthly payments, but it isn't for everybody. If I were a fan of non-local sports teams, I'd probably have to shell out money for cable. As it is, I can watch nearly all of the games I care about on the local networks.

9. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    With Netflix and the WWE Network I have found myself not missing TV, which I have been without for more than a year now. OTA channels are worthless for me, but so is the rest of most of the content on television. Being able to rent or buy digital titles for a cheap price or a subscription service like the ones that I just mentioned are my preferred ventures.